Brew for Super Bowl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you like? It can't be a huge beer, you don't have long for a barleywine. Who's gonna be with you? Are the diehard bmc drinkers? You could do something like biermuncher's cream of the three crops...or how bout a nice red ale? This is one of my favorite recipes on here, not created by me.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mojave-red-112308/

The three of mine in the my recipe pulldown are pretty popular. I've got a brown, a vienna lager and a belgian blonde in there.

No, no barleywine's please, especially if it's a long game :p We're having several neighbors over so there'll be a variety of palates to contend with (several foodies among them). I'm thinking a good session beer that I can force-carbonate (time is getting short). The Mojave Red sounds delicious but I haven't moved up to all grain yet (would have to be an extract brew).

No, no barleywine's please, especially if it's a long game :p We're having several neighbors over so there'll be a variety of palates to contend with (several foodies among them). I'm thinking a good session beer that I can force-carbonate (time is getting short). The Mojave Red sounds delicious but I haven't moved up to all grain yet (would have to be an extract brew).

I'm pretty sure conroe's got an extract breakdown of his recipe in the thread.

If you want it for the Super Bowl you'll have to hustle.

Ken Lenard's Memory Lapse Pale Ale:

5 Gallons
OG 1.045 / IBU 29 / SRM 12

5.5 lbs Light Dme - 60 min
1 lb Crystal Malt - 60L - steeped 30 min @150F
12 oz Wheat Malt - steeped 30 min @150F
2 oz Mt Hood hops - 60 min
1 pkg. US 05 dry yeast

Simple, not to agressive, should please any number of palates.

I have been working on my Superbowl menu for a little while now. I have a Pilsner Urequlle clone, Anchor Steam Clone, Altbier, Fullers EBS Clone and my house Pale Ale.

Great Idea! I love reasons to brew!!!

Guess I am going to try a Blonde Ale - try to clone the Southern Star Bombshell Blonde maybe...nevermind - scratch the maybe!

The problem with doing Mojave red as extract is the Melanoidin Malt really should be mashed. I don't know how much flavor it will lend steeping. It is worth a try.

Someone else at hopville has converted it using Briess Amber DME. I like that idea because the small amount of Munich malt in the DME will add the maltyness that might be missed from the Melanoidin Malt.
http://hopville.com/recipe/418256/american-amber-ale-recipes/altered-mojave-red-ii

I'm putting my shopping list together for the Mojave Red (via extract). Maybe this is just marketing, but is there a difference between "Briess Amber DME" and "Briess DME Sparkling Amber"? Its description matches Conroe's mention of Munich malt - I'm assuming they're one and the same.

Thanks all for the good advice!

I'll have an american wheat, pale ale, IPA and a malty winter brew on tap. Should be something for everyones tastes. The wheat is my main brew for the game, fairly low ABV and easy to drink.

Latest posts

Back