Brew dog Punk IPA kit rubbish instructions help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malky1841

Reaction score
I recently bought the brewdog Punk IPA kit and it says 'Instructions provided". They were pretty vague to say the least!. I'm a bit new to the whole grain brewing technique so maybe they assume I have some sort of brewing knowledge.

Anyway the first problem was that it didnt say how long to boil for. The recipe stated what hops to add at the start middle and end but if theres no boil time how do I know when the middle and the end is ??.

I looked at other recipes and decided an hour would do the trick so made my hop additions accordingly. My OG was only 2 points off the one stated in the recipe so not bad I guess.

Next problem is that it doesnt say at all how much priming sugar to add before bottling!. Its a 20 litre brew so is there a set amount I should be adding ?.

Its bubbling away nicely in the kitchen at 20 degrees ( recipe asks for 19 but I cant get that in the house )

Thanks for that

I didnt get anything like the one you've provided in the box but I seem to have done pretty much what its asked purely by being a spawny git I think!.

Its asking for 3 tablespoons of honey for priming a 1 gallon batch, does that mean I need 15 tablespoons for my 5 gallon one?. That seems like quite a lot!.

Instructions almost always call for more priming sugar than necessary, use a priming calculator for the amount of carbonation you want.

Thanks for that

I didnt get anything like the one you've provided in the box but I seem to have done pretty much what its asked purely by being a spawny git I think!.

Its asking for 3 tablespoons of honey for priming a 1 gallon batch, does that mean I need 15 tablespoons for my 5 gallon one?. That seems like quite a lot!.

For 20 liters of finished beer, I"d use 127 grams of sugar. I probably wouldn't bother with honey, but if you are using honey that's an entirely different calculation but I'd go by weight and NOT 'tablespoons" as there is far more room for error with multiple tablespoons.

Would that calculation be different if I was using DME ?. According to the priming calculator its asking for a bit more than if you were using sugar. I'm only being extra careful as I had an explosive accident with my last batch involving plastic bottles priming drops and my understairs cupboard....... which incidentally still smells like a Weatherspoons carpet after a 2 for one promotion on pension day.

Would that calculation be different if I was using DME ?. According to the priming calculator its asking for a bit more than if you were using sugar. I'm only being extra careful as I had an explosive accident with my last batch involving plastic bottles priming drops and my understairs cupboard....... which incidentally still smells like a Weatherspoons carpet after a 2 for one promotion on pension day.

Corn sugar (priming sugar) is totally fermentable. DME is not so it requires more of it.

Back