Brew day Mentoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
So, I now have 4 batches of homebrew made from extracts and one batch I even did a bit of grain additions. I'm fully addicted! I would like to try a batch of AG, but equipment costs are certainly a restricting factor.

I was wondering if this forum has any kind of mentoring program. By that, I mean would any of you guys be interested in sharing a brew day with a noob from nearby towns. I would be very interested in watching the whole process from start to finish, from an experianced brewmaster. I'd even lend a hand if able, or needed.

That way I would be able to see if I really want to take the plunge and spend the money for the AG equipment.

I live in Cohocton NY, and would be willing to travel a reasonable distance.

I'm sure there are other noobs, and even a few experanced homebrewers, that would be interested in something on these lines!

Any Takers? :mug:

The closest club, that I am aware of, is over 50 miles away! I was hoping for someone a little closer.

Kirkwooder said:
So, I now have 4 batches of homebrew made from extracts and one batch I even did a bit of grain additions. I'm fully addicted! I would like to try a batch of AG, but equipment costs are certainly a restricting factor.

I was wondering if this forum has any kind of mentoring program. By that, I mean would any of you guys be interested in sharing a brew day with a noob from nearby towns. I would be very interested in watching the whole process from start to finish, from an experianced brewmaster. I'd even lend a hand if able, or needed.

That way I would be able to see if I really want to take the plunge and spend the money for the AG equipment.

I'm sure there are other noobs, and even a few experanced homebrewers, that would be interested in something on these lines!

I'm in southeastern ny in Orange County I do brew classes most weekends. Usually 4-5 brewers attend and get hands on expierence brewing. There is no fee just bring some beer : ) if interested pm me.

According to google maps your not far from Monticello which is 30ish minutes away from me just down rt.17 to the goshen exit

That's a very good idea. I'm about to transition into trying AG, but never would have considered it without having watched/helped with an AG batch and having that brewer (who lives 5 blocks away) as a mentor.

You can put together a mash/lauter tun for very little investment if you already have a 48+ qt igloo cooler. A trip to Lowes or Home Depot for a section of CPVC (high temp) pipe, 90* joints, T's and a valve assy can get you there. I spent about $20 to convert mine. You'll also maybe want a floating thermometer to monitor mash temps.

My biggest purchase to make the big jump to AG was a bigger (9 gallon) brew kettle. My dear wife was nice enough to get me a stainless one with couplings for a ball valve and a thermometer as an "early Valentine's Day" present.

I hope you find one or more good experienced brewing mentors. May I suggest inquiring at the nearest LHBS. I'll bet they can steer you toward someone in your area.

Not sure what standing around in some guy's garage for an afternoon is going to tell you about AG that you could figure out for yourself.

Do you like beer?
Do you like to brew beer?
Would you be interested in making better beer by starting from grain?

The rest is details and learning about the process.

Maybe I'm missing what you expect to get out of this interaction.

broadbill said:
Not sure what standing around in some guy's garage for an afternoon is going to tell you about AG that you could figure out for yourself.

Do you like beer?
Do you like to brew beer?
Would you be interested in making better beer by starting from grain?

The rest is details and learning about the process.

Maybe I'm missing what you expect to get out of this interaction.

He's looking for hands on expierence from a brewer that brews regularly... Learn to avoid mistakes.... Meet other brewers.... Basically learn the ropes I assume. Some people learn better from seeing others by hearing and others by hands on expierence. As the president of a large HomeBrew club I get guys all the time and I mean everyday calling me about their HomeBrew and I opened my door to newer brewers to help then along. Brewing for some people is a huge mystery and if I can help I will I enjoy the process of teaching people the process as well as demystifying the science behind it. I don't think the op's request was a waste at all.

If you can't find anyone to show you in person, be on the lookout on these threads (usually in the General Brewing section, I believe) for someone brewing live over the internet. I've watched a few and was able to ask them questions on what they were doing as they were brewing.

Why don't you go into the NY section of the forum, and start a thread with a title like "I'm in Rochestor, any all grainers willing to let me observe your next brew day?"

Lot of folks do that. I've taught a few folks who've asked just that way.

Aschecte, Cohocton is just south of rochester, it's several hours from Orange Co.(5-6 I would guess) but I apreciate the offer!

I'll see if I can't figure out how to find the NY forum. I haven't seen it yet, but I haven't been looking either!

And yeah, I would feel much better about spending the time and money that it takes to get started, if I have seen it done a few times first! Also, I'm a fairly handy person and most likely can build most of the equipment out of stuff that I have laying around. Most likely I could get some ideas from the mentor and his equipment/process!

If you don't get that, then you don't need to mentor anyone!

Cohocton, you are just a bit south of me. I'm in Livonia. I too am looking to move into all grain. I'm going to start with some biab (brew in a bag) and then go from there. If I'm brewing a batch soon I'll let you know and maybe we can learn together. I have one more extract brew to do and then I'm going to try biab.

Kirkwooder said:
Aschecte, Cohocton is just south of rochester, it's several hours from Orange Co.(5-6 I would guess) but I apreciate the offer!

I'll see if I can't figure out how to find the NY forum. I haven't seen it yet, but I haven't been looking either!

And yeah, I would feel much better about spending the time and money that it takes to get started, if I have seen it done a few times first! Also, I'm a fairly handy person and most likely can build most of the equipment out of stuff that I have laying around. Most likely I could get some ideas from the mentor and his equipment/process!

If you don't get that, then you don't need to mentor anyone!

Oh ok that's weird there is a cochecton right outside of Monticello in Sullivan county. Hey the offer is still out there if you want to drive lol.

Cohocton, you are just a bit south of me. I'm in Livonia. I too am looking to move into all grain. I'm going to start with some biab (brew in a bag) and then go from there. If I'm brewing a batch soon I'll let you know and maybe we can learn together. I have one more extract brew to do and then I'm going to try biab.

Send me a PM.:mug:

Back