Brew Day #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xellios

Reaction score
OK, I'm doing batch #3 tomorrow, well technically today. I haven't had the guts to venture outside of kits yet, so this will be a Brewers Best IPA. Here are the Ingredients:

6.6# Plain Light Malt Extract
1# Crushed Crystal Malt
8 oz Crushed Victory
2 oz Northern Brewer Hops
1 oz Cascade Hops

Anybody make anything similar?

Looks like a good ol' fashioned pale ale to me. Crushed Victory sounds like a military maneuver. :p

i actually did this same kit for my 1st brew, it came out great but i woulldnt consider it an ipa. i like my ipas to be very hoppy and this one isnt, however, it is a nice beer but more like a pale ale. if i did it again i would add more hops than the kits comes with. also since it was my 1st batch i was a little impatient and drank a bunch about 9 days after bottling, it was good then but the ones i let condition for a few weeks were much better.

Also my first. Unmodified. Still not quite drinkable though, so I can't say much about it, except that it tasted great before bottling.

I did the California IPA for my first batch. I am ready to bottle on Thurs. Can't wait!

I've done all of BB's pale ales and will tell you this: Do yourself a favor and get an ounce of your favorite hop and dry hop this sucker after the first week is done. It'll make this good beer great.

^^^^ I am doing this. Went to my HBS yesterday to pick up my second kit and picked up an ounce of Cascade to put in to my pale ale when I transfer to my secondary. I'm gonna be leaving the Pale in the secondary for 2 weeks. Should I leave the cascades in for the whole 2 weeks or just for the last week? I am a big hops fan but this being my first batch don't know how they affect it really. I've never had anything too hoppy for my liking though.

IrregularPulse said:
^^^^ I am doing this. Went to my HBS yesterday to pick up my second kit and picked up an ounce of Cascade to put in to my pale ale when I transfer to my secondary. I'm gonna be leaving the Pale in the secondary for 2 weeks. Should I leave the cascades in for the whole 2 weeks or just for the last week? I am a big hops fan but this being my first batch don't know how they affect it really. I've never had anything too hoppy for my liking though.

i would say leave it in the whole time, however, i would add some more hops in the boil to get a hoppier beer. hops in the secondary contribute mainly to the aroma of the beer. i like really hoppy beers too and when i did this kit i think it could have benefited from maybe an once of northern brewer added to the boil at 15min.:mug:

The BB IPA was my first brew too! I dry hop a mininum of two weeks with VERY good results. Centennial is a good hop to try also.

Back