Brew bucket lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfeuerhelm

Reaction score
I haven't got all my equipment together to start brewing yet. I plan on doing 1 gallon batches (small apartment) and do my primary fermenting in 2 gallon buckets, but I have a question on lids. Almost all of the lids I can find for two gallon buckets are listed as "tear-tab, single use". The other "reusable" option seems to be gamma seal lids (hard to find for 2gallons but not impossible). Now my question is, are these single use lids reusable for brewing and can a gamma seal lid (where the ring and bucket mate) be cleaned properly for brewing use?

Not sure about the gamma lids but the regular lids are fine for reuse as long as they have the gasket in them. I have used them before and there great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The Gamma Seal lids have a plastic ring that snaps onto the rim of the bucket. I would be concerned about debris and germs finding their way between the ring and bucket. Since they require a fair amount of force to seat them (I use a rubber mallet), it might be difficult to remove those rings to clean underneath.

Have you considered using 1-gallon glass jugs instead?

I used one for a fermenter and it works really bad. Just like maxstout said you can't get the ring off and it does get very nasty. Impossible to clean. I only use them to store grain in now.

That is what I was figuring for both lids.

I love the idea of the gamma lid, but I wish the one piece vittle vault brand 2 gallon bucket was much cheaper than it is.

Now I feel better about going with the "single use" lids.

I work in a plastics factory as a technician making industrial buckets, and I have some of our 5 gallon buckets that i ferment in. They have the tear strip lids but with a gasket in them I can put them back on and seal it pretty good.

I use a 6 gal. Brew craft bucket that has just the snap lid for my primary. and I'm pretty happy with it. Easy to clean.

My local grocery store gets icing buckets that hold just over 2 gals that are food grade. Check your bakery dept. for free buckets. I use mine for test batches.

Latest posts

Back