Brew #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KageBrew

Reaction score
Considering I am the only one who likes IPA's in my drinking circle, I recently brewed a 1 gal Rye IPA. (The one from Brooklyn Brew Co.)

It has been in my fermentor for 3 days now, and I have not seen any bubbles in my air lock... NOW I did not buy the kit with the small glass carboy, I am using a frosting bucket from my local bakery. I know the top seal on the bucket isn't the best. Is it safe to assume that the gasses are escaping there an not the air lock? If so do I have to worry about infection getting in?

That's likely the reason. Try shining a powerful LED flashlight against the lid to see if you can see krausen

I would worry more about getting an infection from the old re-used bucket. Im guessing its plastic? What sort of condition was it in before you cleaned and sanitized it

That's likely the reason. Try shining a powerful LED flashlight against the lid to see if you can see krausen

I would worry more about getting an infection from the old re-used bucket. Im guessing its plastic? What sort of condition was it in before you cleaned and sanitized it

The bucket was in really good condition. No scratches inside, and very clean on the outside minus the labels. I scrubbed the inside out then sanitized for 35 or so min.

I will have to look later tonight to see if I have a krausen. I didnt think to look for that! Thanks for the tip!

The bucket was in really good condition. No scratches inside, and very clean on the outside minus the labels. I scrubbed the inside out then sanitized for 35 or so min.

I will have to look later tonight to see if I have a krausen. I didnt think to look for that! Thanks for the tip!

If you're using star-san then 2 minutes is fine for sanitization. No need to wait 35 minutes.

I take the airlock out then shine a flashlight at the side of the bucket and look in the hole if I'm wondering what's going on. You'll see foam if it's going well.

Give it some time....Have read here that sometimes it takes up to 48 hours for the yeasties to start doing their job...DWRAHAHB

Yes just relax and make sure the yeast is comfortable by that I mean room temp not to hot but not to cold. Also it could be just a leak in the lid of you fermenter. Just look at the bottom of the fermenter if there is a layer of sediment you are good.

The beer has been in the fermenter for 4 days with no activity. The ambient a it temp is 66F. Should I try to warm it up?
Why would it be good news if there is a layer sediment on the bottom?

If there was a layer of turb on the bottom it would tell you that the yeast is working and you probably just have a lid on your fermenter that is not sealed properly. Give your fermenter a little shake and warm it up a little bit. If that doesn't work you will have to repitch some yeast.

I purchased some 2 gallon fermentation buckets from my LHBS for doing 1 gallon batches and 4 Liter starters and the lids did not seal well enough.
I wound up purchasing different lids from the hardware store that require a bit of elbow grease to get on but now I have a tight seal and hold pressure forcing C02 out the airlock (or foam stopper for the starter lid).
It was a bit frustrating the first few times I used the buckets with the original lids because I had no visible signs of activity.
I will bet your fine. Give it some time and check gravity to confirm progress.

Open the lid of the bucket and look inside. If there is a krausen ring, your beer fermented. Take a small sniff of the contents. If it burns your nose, it is full of CO2 and that means it fermented. If neither of these indicators are positive, pitch more yeast.

If only one exists... What does that say... It burns my nose when I take a sniff... But there is no sign if a krausen or a ring that shows there may have been one... Would it hurt any if I did pitch more yeast and add it?

If only one exists... What does that say... It burns my nose when I take a sniff... But there is no sign if a krausen or a ring that shows there may have been one... Would it hurt any if I did pitch more yeast and add it?

if it burns your nose it has produced CO2 or you added it. If you didn't add the CO2, the yeast produced it as part of fermentation. It won't hurt to pitch more yeast but I doubt it will help either.

Well all...
I did my first check the the gravity today, and to me it seemed ok... However Brooklyn Brew Shop doesnt include any of the info on the beer. I do now know what it should be start or finish.

Here is what I have:
OG: 1.052
FG (First Check): 1.021
Calculated ABV%: 4.19%
The kit says it should be about 6.5% what did I do wrong?

Let it go for a few more days while slowly bringing up the temp to promote a strong finish for the yeast to clean things up then check gravity again.
If the gravity remains unchanged go ahead and package. If not let it finish and package when gravity has stabilized.
I wouldn't worry too much about the FG as extract brews can suffer from the curse of the 1020's where they have trouble attenuating below that.
Enjoy the Rye IPA.

Latest posts

Back