Brett saison bottling and carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oojuxeoo

Reaction score
I have a saison that had a SG of 1.046 and fermented down to 1.004. I split the 5 gallon batch into 2 different beers. I kegged 2.5 gals for straight saison and I then racked the other 2.5 to secondary where I added Brett for a few months. I want to bottle this Brett saison. Now that the beer is basically at 1.000 gravity and yeast has settled out, how should I proceed with carbonating the beer in the bottle? I don't really want to force carb this from the keg. I know its possible to add yeast at bottling with sugar...but how much?

Basic bottle priming:
Use a priming sugar calculator
https://www.morebeer.com/content/priming_sugar_calculator
The temperature should be the highest it reached since the end of fermentation.
I suggest 3.0-3.2 volumes CO2.

Measure the sugar with a scale.
Dissolve the sugar with an equal weight of water.
Heat it up and stir until it's clear and fully dissolved.
Add it to your sanitized bottling bucket.
Gently rack the beer into your bucket, using tubing to create a gentle whirlpool.
Give it a gently stir before bottling.

Additional yeast at bottling (optional):
Bottling yeast can help prevent THP formation, but it may be fine without it.
I generally recommend EC-1118 for bottle conditioning. It NEEDS to be properly rehydrated, so things do get a little complicated.

I suggest setting aside 10g of your priming sugar and dissolve it in 100mL water to use for attemporation.
I describe my rehydration process in detail here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/moving-from-beer-to-cider.673547/#post-8755159
In this case I recommend 5g yeast, 2.5g Go-Ferm, and 50mL water for the rehydration solution. This will be fine for conditioning a 2.5-5.0 gal batch.

Add the yeast halfway through racking; don't add it directly to the priming sugar solution.

Hope this makes sense.

Back