Brett on brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipNswirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been a while since I've last posted. So glad to see all the info on wild and sour brews here. I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who has used brett (either single strain or a blend) as a primary yeast then added a second pitch in secondary to increase the funk level. For example, I just brewed an IPA with the Brett trois strain. Huge pitch and no O2 produced an incredible beer. Nothing like I've ever tasted...but super fruity and relatively "clean", as I was expecting. Anyone add more Brett trois in a smaller pitch in secondary? I would assume if I pitched something like lambicus it would funk it up, but what about the same strain?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've wondered about this too. Of course, we know that Brett in secondary after a Primary with Sacc will convert the primary Sacc-produced flavors into new ones. We also know that a Brett primary will be relatively clean compared to a Brett secondary, though potentially more estery than a Sacc primary. But will a Brett secondary after a Brett primary similarly convert those primary Brett-produced flavors into new ones?

I could see of you used a different strain but why would adding more of the same strain do anything at all? I mean the strain is already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a saison with trios as the only yeast. It was clean if a little estery, but as it aged the funk started to grow. Now 11 months later it's amazing, but I only have 4 bombers left :(

I just did a side by side of the split batch brett trois vs. Wlp090 and finally was able to taste the Belgian character in the brett sample. It actually tasted like an American IPA without the 090 control! I can definitely see the funky direction it's going with time. Time to bottle some off and sock them away.

I haven't done this before, but just from a microbial standpoint, pitching more brett versus waiting for the existing brett to get funky doesn't lead to much of a difference unless the brett varieties are different in their characteristics.

Brett seems to take a path of least resistance process to fermentation. If coupled with saccharomyces strain and a late pitch, it'll take down the complex sugars. But if pitched into a 100% brett beer, it'll take out the simple sugars.

I haven't really kept my 100% brett beers around long enough to see how they get, but a lot of the funkiness derived from brett beers is from metabolizing compounds that saccharomyces throws off. I'm sure a 100% brett beer will get funkier over time, but given that same amount of time will it be as funky as a saccharomyces/brett combo beer?

I haven't really kept my 100% brett beers around long enough to see how they get, but a lot of the funkiness derived from brett beers is from metabolizing compounds that saccharomyces throws off. I'm sure a 100% brett beer will get funkier over time, but given that same amount of time will it be as funky as a saccharomyces/brett combo beer?

I just had to respond. I am currently drinking a 100% Brett-B brew that was bottled December last year (after 3 months in the fermenter). No funk, decent carbonation - no gushing.

It has 2 strains of Brett-B in it. One is WLP650 (I think that is the number), and Brett cultured from Ommegang Biere De Mars. I've used this mix in several 100% Brett beers and none have developed any funk.

This is only a limited sample; might depend on the strain of course.

I just had to respond. I am currently drinking a 100% Brett-B brew that was bottled December last year (after 3 months in the fermenter). No funk, decent carbonation - no gushing.

It has 2 strains of Brett-B in it. One is WLP650 (I think that is the number), and Brett cultured from Ommegang Biere De Mars. I've used this mix in several 100% Brett beers and none have developed any funk.

This is only a limited sample; might depend on the strain of course.

This is what I've always thought...

I have 3 different 100% Brett Trois beers in bottles from when Trois was a platinum strain, and all but one has developed a funky edge to them, specifically the 2 IPAs did but the Saison is clean as a whistle. I pitched a starter into each at ale pitching rates, no aeration on the starters of the wort. So maybe the address stress on the yeast in primary and then through 2 years of bottle conditioning and breaking down oxidized hop compounds has something to do with it.

I have 3 different 100% Brett Trois beers in bottles from when Trois was a platinum strain, and all but one has developed a funky edge to them, specifically the 2 IPAs did but the Saison is clean as a whistle. I pitched a starter into each at ale pitching rates, no aeration on the starters of the wort. So maybe the address stress on the yeast in primary and then through 2 years of bottle conditioning and breaking down oxidized hop compounds has something to do with it.

Ed, do you remember what sacc strains you used?

Back