brett in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I want to start off by saying that I am trying to get it into the beer. I tried fermenting the orval type beer in brewing classic styles using the wyeast trappist blend 3789 from their private collection, but I had some problems.

I made a starter with this yeast and let it sit in my kitchen for about 4 weeks (three after all activity faded) before I pitched. My kitchen is about 80 degrees and after two days I had absolutely no signs of fermentation ( I raised the temp by two degrees from 66- 68 after the first day.)

So by mid-day three I made a starter from some washed abby ale yeast and threw it in by that night. It is now day 5 and I have fine fermentation activity.

so finally my question... should I repitch a bret culture or do you think it is still vibing in the beer, waiting until the main yeasties floc out to do it's business?

If i do repitch should I buy some built up cultures from wyeast or white labs or should I pitch the dregs from a bottle or two of orval?

What would you all do?

I'd bet you've still got plenty of Brett around to take care of your problem. Unless there was something wrong with the initial starter/pack of yeast, its there biding its time until the sacc finishes up and it gets its chance to shine. Unfortunately, that time to shine is going to be a few months down the road (or more), so if it helps your peace of mind there's no harm in pitching some dregs in. I suppose you could buy a new pack, but dregs come with free beer :D.

Yeah, The original starter was going like crazy. It just sat finished for about a month before I began my brew. I like the free beer idea, because unfortunately I am too damn cheap and I could use a good excuse to buy some tasty Orval!

I used this exact strain in my Orval "clone". I did not make a starter and it ended up just fine, tastes pretty great IMO. I used a small starter of Orval dregs at bottling time as well.

If I were you, I would let it ferment out, bottle and pitch the Orval dregs in your bottling bucket. That's the same time that the brewery introduces their Brett strain anyway.

I did a tripel with this strain that is in secondary right now. The brett really seems to be doing some work. I am excited to see how this turns out.

Back