Brett. brux. trois vrai start time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amEIREcan

Reaction score
My plan was to set up a sour mash today and then finish it off tomorrow or the next day. I made a starter from WL648 brett brux trois vrai sunday morning and it is now tuesday with no activity in the starter. Anyone have any experience with this yeast? Is it just a slow starter or should I whip up a starter of something else I have in stock?

My plan was to set up a sour mash today and then finish it off tomorrow or the next day. I made a starter from WL648 brett brux trois vrai sunday morning and it is now tuesday with no activity in the starter. Anyone have any experience with this yeast? Is it just a slow starter or should I whip up a starter of something else I have in stock?
Ok so I'm guessing you didn't make a stepped starter? The cheeky buggers give you only a tiny amount of cells in the Brett packs so if you are doing pure Brett you need to start real small and build it up to get the proper amount.

Ok so I'm guessing you didn't make a stepped starter? The cheeky buggers give you only a tiny amount of cells in the Brett packs so if you are doing pure Brett you need to start real small and build it up to get the proper amount.
Looking at the vial it had about the same amount as you would get in any other primary fermentation vial. About .75 inch. The vial of amalgamation II I got only had a thin layer of cells at the bottom so I thought a stepped starter wasn't necessary for this one.

Back