Braumeister or grainfather? I'm really undecided as to which to get.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zlaker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered before but I'm thinking about getting either a grainfather or a braumeister. I've done some research but can't decide as to which to get.

So far this is my breakdown.

Grainfather:
Cheaper
More efficient
Quality of the build is not as good as the braumeister
No spareparts the unit breaks you either get it replaced or fixed under warranty or buy a new one
More manually controlled than the braumeister.
110 electricity compatible
Boil is not as vigorous
Easy to clean
Recirculates from top
Yealds clear wort
Included wort chiller

Braumeister:
More expensive
Really neat controls with capabilities to save recipes.
Not as efficient when compared to the GF
Really good quality build
Some spare parts
More automated, set and walk away.
Not 110 electricity compatible
Really vigorous boil
Easy to clean
Recirculates from bottom
Yealds slightly more opaque wort.
Wort chiller sold separately. But if you already have one this is unnecessary.

Man I wish I could merge both systems or take the computing element from the BM and place it know the GF.

Anyways any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to make this a long term purchase. It will likely take lots of punishment from brewing as I plan to Brew 3 to 4 times per weekend.

Cheers
Zlaker

I just purchased a Grainfather recently and I wouldn't say it's by any means a low quality product. Many of the parts are available for purchase from Grainfather if you needed to repair it, the exception being the heating element. I am very happy by the quality and the price I paid for it, and it includes a very nice CFC chiller, the footprint is perfect for those lacking storage.

I have heard of local home brew clubs that pass around a GF, some of them have brewed on it 200+ times already with no issues at all.

You mentioned merging the automation of the BM with the price of the GF, well later this year GF is releasing a new control panel upgrade that's bluetooth compatible to an App on your phone and the new control panel will allow step mashing and more controls.

Either way, good luck and i'm sure you will be very happy with whatever you choose!

Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered before but I'm thinking about getting either a grainfather or a braumeister. I've done some research but can't decide as to which to get.

So far this is my breakdown.

Grainfather:
Cheaper
More efficient
Quality of the build is not as good as the braumeister
No spareparts the unit breaks you either get it replaced or fixed under warranty or buy a new one
More manually controlled than the braumeister.
110 electricity compatible
Boil is not as vigorous
Easy to clean
Recirculates from top
Yealds clear wort
Included wort chiller

Braumeister:
More expensive
Really neat controls with capabilities to save recipes.
Not as efficient when compared to the GF
Really good quality build
Some spare parts
More automated, set and walk away.
Not 110 electricity compatible
Really vigorous boil
Easy to clean
Recirculates from bottom
Yealds slightly more opaque wort.
Wort chiller sold separately. But if you already have one this is unnecessary.

Man I wish I could merge both systems or take the computing element from the BM and place it know the GF.

Anyways any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to make this a long term purchase. It will likely take lots of punishment from brewing as I plan to Brew 3 to 4 times per weekend.

Cheers
Zlaker

I'm a bit confused by what you mean when you say recirculates from the top and bottom?

Clarification please @zlaker

You mentioned merging the automation of the BM with the price of the GF, well later this year GF is releasing a new control panel upgrade that's bluetooth compatible to an App on your phone and the new control panel will allow step mashing and more controls.

Either way, good luck and i'm sure you will be very happy with whatever you choose!

Thanks for the reply, any idea as to when later this year this will happen? I would not mind waiting a month or three.

Do you know if the control panel would be able to be upgraded separately? Or if the price would increase from this upgrade to the temp controls.

Cheers
-Zlaker

I'm a bit confused by what you mean when you say recirculates from the top and bottom?

Clarification please @zlaker

Sorry.

Meant the grain father sucks from the bottom side and moves the liquid up a tube and it sparge from the top.

The braumeister I saw sacked from the bottom and then pushed the liquid through another hole in the bottom.

Thanks for the reply, any idea as to when later this year this will happen? I would not mind waiting a month or three.

Do you know if the control panel would be able to be upgraded separately? Or if the price would increase from this upgrade to the temp controls.

Cheers
-Zlaker

Grainfather has hinted around Octoberish for the new control panel upgrade. Yes the GF was actually built in a somewhat modular fashion and the new control panel will be available as a directly, easy upgrade to the current one. They also said the cost of the upgrade will be similar to buying the new version when it comes out, so if you bought it now, you wouldn't end up spending much more to get the upgrade than it would have cost if you waited and got it as one unit.

It currently costs msrp $890. Speculation is with the new control panel it will move to $999 or whatever they decide on, so speculation is the upgrade will cost 110-150 bucks or so. Obviously all speculation, no details have been released. If the price goes up too much they will lose that quality at a lower price allure that drew so many of us in.

Hope that all makes sense.

Last edited:
Crystal clear, no point in waiting to buy if the brain can be upgraded.

Sorry.

Meant the grain father sucks from the bottom side and moves the liquid up a tube and it sparge from the top.

The braumeister I saw sacked from the bottom and then pushed the liquid through another hole in the bottom.

Thank you! I was super confused and couldn't visualize it LoL :beard:

Sorry if this makes it even harder, but have you also checked out the UniBrau ( http://brausupply.com/collections/biab-systems ) and Brew-Boss ( brew-boss.com ) ?
They fill several price/features/flexibility points in between grainfather and braumeister, and they are more modular (therefor expandable, user-fixable).

Thanks for the comments. Ended up purchasing the grainfather yesterday.

Good choice, was going say I did my first all grain on a Braumeister on a intro course that was a present from the wife. It was a great bit of kit, and it started my interest in brewing last year.

I started off doing BIAB at home, and built up my kit a bit at time, then took the plunge for a Grainfather in January, and not looked back. It too is a great bit of kit, and glad I went for the cheaper option, its not let me down yet.

Back