Brau Bros Moo Joos clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_chale

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting with Midwest Supplies Oatmeal Stout recipe kit, wyeast, and adding lactose sugar to try and achieve my goal of cloning Brau Bros Moo Joos Oatmeal Milk Stout. I'm curious if anyone has brewed this kit from midwest, if anyone has cloned this beer, or has any recommendations on how much lactose sugar to use and when to add it. here's the recipe:

Specialty Grains:
8 oz. Rolled Oats
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Roasted Barley

Malt:
6lb Dark LME

Hops:
1oz Fuggle (60 min)

I will be keeping an eye on this thread, love MooJoos. Let us know if it works out. Ringneck would be another good one of theirs to clone.

I've had one bottle of ringneck, in a mix-a-six pack before I started reviewing beers, and I remember liking it a lot. Their peated scotch ale has been my favorite since I found out about the brewery. For this clone, until I get some one to tell me I'm wrong, I'm just going to add 1lb of Lactose at the end of the boil. I recently made a belgian dubble that called for 1lb of belgian candied sugar at the end, so I don't think 1lb is going to hurt it too much.

at secondary, if it doesn't have the taste I'm looking for, I'm debating between more lactose sugar, or maybe some milk chocolate? maybe both?

I'm going to pick up yet another 6 pack of it tonight and try to get my brain wrapped around the recipe.

here's another question: Midwest Supply's cream stout has a similar recipe, but includes the lactose, and could easily become an oatmeal milk stout if some oats were added to the specialty grain bill. here's what it consists of:

Specialty Grains:
8 oz. Black Malt
8 oz. Caramel 80L

Malt:
6lbs Dark LME (60min)

Hops:
1oz German Northern Brewer (60min)

Adjunct:
8oz Lactose Sugar (60min)

So they recommend that you boil the lactose with the LME, and it's a half pound for 5 gallons. What type of oats and how much would you add to make it an oatmeal milk stout?

I just placed my order. I chatted with a customer service rep at midwest and he said to use 1lb of flaked oats. When I looked on the brau bros site, they say they use flaked and roasted oats. We concluded that it'd be best to add 1/2lb of flaked oats and 1/2lb of simpson's golden naked oats. That brings the specialty grain bill up to 2lbs, so I ordered an extra large muslic sack. I think it's gonna be pretty damn close. If anyone has any suggestions beyond what I've posted please feel free.

Back