brand new to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathanya

Reaction score
I am brand new to brewing but want to start the hobby,don't really know much about it or what supplies to get or maybe a certain recipe for a beginner to try. Please any advice would help.
Thanks, Nate:mug:

Try finding a local home brew supply store. Inquire about where you can take an all grain brewing class. You will learn a lot at the class, usually only a few hours. Then you will have a good idea of what equipment and supplies you need. Also check out some you tube videos. Good luck with what I consider one of the most satisfying hobbies.

Check out How to Brew by John Palmer - you can read the ebook online http://www.howtobrew.com/

If there is a home brew store near you check them out. Most of the guys who run stores are in it because they love brewing, there isn't a lot of money to be made competing with online vendors.
Many of the extract kits contain good enough instructions to get you going. Then once you're hooked it won't seem like such work to read a couple of books to help you understand the process better.

Local Brew Store is the best, go in and talk to the guy behind the counter. He can usually help you out. I started with a Brewers Best starter kit. After you get your first few under your belt you will start to get the hang of it and can do your own thing.

I started by hitting up the local home brew store as I'm sure many did. Roughly $100 will normally buy you a kit of startup equipment and an extract recipe / ingredients for your first brew. Hell, mine even came with the how to book.

Most online home brew retailers and home brew shops carry homebrew starter kits, which is most of what you would need to make a U.S. 5 gal. batch. You should also get a copy of The Joy Of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian, while some of the info is dated It's a great resource to get you familiarized with the process and ingredients. Cheers and good luck!!!

Local brew stores is a good start. It can help you figure out how much you want to invest in brewing. A simple starter kit could do you well. If you take off and really enjoy the journey of brewing. You can build on a good starter kit. And then on the opposite end. If you decide it's not for you. You not out much money.

Abear79

Outside of the local shops you can check out online options as well. Someone got me a starter kit from Northern Brewer to get me going. Came with a recipe kit and how to DVD.

Midwest's starter kit is 70 bucks & has a DVD that comes with it as well. It also has add-on options for other things you may not have.

Back