Brand New Brewer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlg4398

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, I'm attempting my first batch. I pitched my yeast on Thursday 27. Using a 6.5 True Brew fermenting pail.
On the 28th it was bubbling pretty good. Today (Monday) 03 no bubbling.
The brew is a Light Blonde Ale.
All advice and guidance welcomed. Thanx, Johnny

Just started my first batch of Light Blonde Ale. I pitched my yeast on Thursday 27, 2014. On the 28th it was bubbling good. Today, Monday 03 no bubbles.
Will I need to pitch yeast again?
All advise and guidance welcomed. Thanx, Johnny

Just started my first batch of Light Blonde Ale. I pitched my yeast on Thursday 27, 2014. On the 28th it was bubbling good. Today, Monday 03 no bubbles.
Will I need to pitch yeast again?
All advise and guidance welcomed. Thanx, Johnny

What yeast, what temp did you ferment at?

3 days of heavy fermentation with a lot activity doesn't seem to be far off on a light blonde ale. I have made several centennial blondes that had a similar schedule.

I used Safale American. My temperature was high 70's or even in the eighties.

Hello from Rushville Indiana, hey guys I posted several days ago about pitching my yeast on Feb. 27. The bubbling quit completely by Mar. 4 or 5. I thought it
should have bubbled more. The advise I got from the Web Site is "Don't worry about the bubbling just 'let it ride', so I have. It will be 7 days Friday. The Brew is a Light Hybrid Blonde Ale. I want to bottle it on Friday 7.
If I don't here anything different I will go ahead a bottle. This is my first batch of home brew.:mug:

Do you have gravity readings??? Beginning and now??? Stuff can "appear" to be "done" fermenting, but in fact may not be...I'd personally let it ride a few days more, unless gravity readings confirm it's done fermenting.... a lil extra time in the fermenter isn't going to hurt anything, but could be an important thing, depending on your particular brew....more info??

That all sounds fine to me except for the part where you want to bottle after only 8 days. Active visual fermentation may only happen for 2-5 days or so. BUT generally want to keep your beer on the yeast for at least 2 weeks. Since you made a lighter beer, it may be ok to bottle after only 8 days, but I wouldn't rush it.

After brewing close to 100 batches my SOP is to let the beer sit 3 weeks then keg. If it's a stronger beer that I want to age a bit, I'll rack to secondary after 3-4 weeks and let that sit for however long.

Again, 8 days may be ok for a lighter beer, but I'd be worried I'm rushing it. If you do bottle after 8 days, I'd give the bottles a few weeks to condition and another week or two to cold condition. Definitely take a few gravity readings leading up to bottling day. If they are all the same, proceed. If the gravity continues to drop (which I doubt) definitely wait to bottle.

Bubbling stopping after 4-5 day is completely normal. Many times after 2 - 3. Don't bottle just yet. Leave it in your primary fermenter for another week. Then take a gravity reading and report back. You should be ready to bottle lighter beers in most cases after 14 day. Make sure you let them carbonate in the bottles for about 4 weeks at room temp. I know your amp'd on your first batch of beer but your results will be much better with patience. Good Luck!

i'd definately take some gravity reading to make sure it's done completely. Depending on gravity, which it sounds to be pretty low you could probably be safe to package within a couple days. I have a bitter i routinely brew and am drinking around day 13(force carb). It may not be at it's best by day 13, but it sure is drinkable. When i started i followed the strict 3 week primary, and while it does no harm at all, you can certainly package sooner than that.

I will say, almost always, my beers taste better with a little bit of age on them. Meaning if i keg after 2 weeks, about the 4-5 week mark they really hit their stride.

I agree with the length of fermentation stated above. I now go by 3wks in primary and then bottle or keg. One of my biggest issues when I first started was rushing beers. Especially when bottling. I think iwoabrew can get away with 13 days because he's kegging. If you bottle too soon, you are almost always going to have over carbonated beer because the yeast is still doing it's thing. By the time you feed it bottling sugar, you've overshot your desired carbonation. And with bigger beers, you risk making alcohol flavored frag grenades :).
Happy brewing and welcome to the obsession!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah make sure you've got consistent gravity readings before putting into bottles +1 above

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Well I think I'll wait until Thursday 13 to bottle. Thanks for all the responses. They helped me to decide to have patience and just let it sit.
Special thanks to dobe12 for the Brewgeek web site. I'll let everyone know how this (my first batch) works out and how it tastes.

Whoop's...sorry the person that gave me (heads up) on th BrewGeeks website is,
RM-MN

Back