Brain like floaties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliemocho

Reaction score
I have an IPA that has been in primary for 3 weeks. I cracked it open today to rack to secondary and there were the strangest looking brain like colonies floating on the surface. I've never seen this before. Anybody ever had this happen? Is it a sign of infection? Help! I used WLP001.

image-2713567121.jpg

No it's White Labs California Ale Yeast
normal in any case. it's funny how it varies from batch to batch. nothing to worry about. if you can find a cooler place to ferment, the yeast will settle out and down a bit better.

Right on thanks a lot guys! This is only my 5th batch and I just haven't seen this yet. So naturally and in true form of a new homebrewer, it seems i have over reacted. Carry on.

Cheers! 🍺

Right on thanks a lot guys! This is only my 5th batch and I just haven't seen this yet. So naturally and in true form of a new homebrewer, it seems i have over reacted. Carry on.

Cheers! 🍺
It's cool. It is pretty gnarly looking when the yeast do that.

Back