Braggot Recipes and Insight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
Searching the forum for a general discussion of Braggot hasn't yielded a ton of well-consolidated info, so I figured I'd create a new post and cross my fingers that someone doesn't dig up something I missed. :)

I've been trying to have a few "side" beers/meads going at all times and am looking for some ideas. By "side" I mean something other than ales/stouts/porters/wheats which account for 95% of my brewing. I've got a lager going now, but no mead. I am interested in doing a braggot, but have not found any slam-dunk recipes out there. My understanding is that it is more or less a beer with a substantial amount of honey as an added ingredient - as opposed to a mead that have been malted up somehow. I've only have a few examples of a commercial Braggot, the main one being the fantastic product made my Magic Hat up in Vermont.

Anyone have any reliable, tried-and-tested braggot recipes and advice? What types of yeast strains are best? Is the honey typically added during boil phases or after primary fermentation? Is the aging process extended....similar to a mead?

Thanks for any info!

Check out the Mead section of this form. Having said that, I posted a hypothetical brag got recipe there once for feedback and got zero replies, so I never pulled the trigger and regret it now. Best of luck.

If your interested in trying a citrus wheat braggot i just brewed it the other day, hasnt been long enough to tell how its going to be but if you are interested i can post the recipe

Back