Bracconiere Home Made Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our friend and resident crazy brewer @bracconiere has #blessed me with some of his home malted grain and I intend to put it through its paces this Saturday for my first brew of 2021.

Bracc was kind enough to send me some Pale Malt, Munich Malt and Crystal WTF for me to make my house Amber Ale.

Recipe can be found here: BRACC Amber Ale | No Profile Selected All Grain Beer Recipe at Brewer's Friend

Here is the Pale

Munich Malt:

Crystal WTF:

Per the recipe I am adding a touch of midnight wheat, more for color than any flavor addition as the carmel malt is ROASTY. So I'm adding a touch less than my original recipe calls for incase the roastyness is too OP.

I'll be documenting the brew day process here as well as the lead up.

Tonight, I made my yeast starter. Going to use San Diego Super. Going to ferment at 66° and see where it takes me.

Looking forward to this brew day as high school baseball starts a week from Saturday and my weekends will be filled with teaching pitchers and catchers and hitting screaming beebees down the third base line.

can't wait! i'm drinking 100% homemalt out of a 1 liter stein now! outa be interesting what you think of kiln-2-MT malt!

edit: and i swear....those pictures look weird...i do not remeber the pale being darker then the munich and the crystal looking unkilned?

Last edited:
can't wait! i'm drinking 100% homemalt out of a 1 liter stein now! outa be interesting what you think of kiln-2-MT malt!

edit: and i swear....those pictures look weird...i do not remeber the pale being darker then the munich and the crystal looking unkilned?

Crystal is definitely kilned and roasty tasting as we discussed. It could also be the terrible lighting.

Its always 5 O'clock somewhere lol !
D7BF8C38-FB0E-4307-8CCD-727315692548.jpeg

i was looking at your recipe, you might be surprised how dark that munich is.

but want to add for public record, if it wasn't for your aggresive hop schedule. you're brewing a ~75 cent twelve pack...everyone will know now if my 99 cent twelver CAN be good if brewed properly! :mug:

Well friends, his malt has sugar in it! Pre-boil of 1.038 don't know the post yet but I only missed PBOG by .003 so I say we're going to have beer!

Brew day went well except for the clogged pump which I just got unclogged...PITA but all things considered solid brew day. The Brewzilla kept temp at 152 the whole time and I'll pitch yeast later tonight!

Well friends, his malt has sugar in it!

enzymes man, enzymes! ;) i take special care to dry it as gently as possible before kilning! :mug:

but it wouldn't surprise me if you get closser to 1.048-50 for a OG, i have no way to really evenly sprout and usually get a few less points with it.

how did the mash smell? boil? I know it will convert i want to know about the olfactory qualities! :D

enzymes man, enzymes! ;) i take special care to dry it as gently as possible before kilning! :mug:

but it wouldn't surprise me if you get closser to 1.048-50 for a OG, i have no way to really evenly sprout and usually get a few less points with it.

how did the mash smell? boil? I know it will convert i want to know about the olfactory qualities! :D

Mash and boil smelled fantastic! Wife complained about the smell when she opened the door to the garage so ya know it was good LoL

Mash and boil smelled fantastic! Wife complained about the smell when she opened the door to the garage so ya know it was good LoL

well if it smelled fantastic hot, then i'm confident you'll probably love it when it's fermented and cold.... then i'll have a substantiated argument when people try to tell me homebrewing isn't cheaper! ;)

because this is a $4 6.5 gallon batch, and you know you could have played it lighter on the hops! lol :mug:

what's the color like? i'm thinking you'll end up with more of a roasty brown ale, and not a amber, because in your recipe you called it 9L munich, and it's more like 20-30L....

Yeah color is def brown but I'm hoping it'll lighten up when fermentation is done. Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

figuring my guess the munich is about like 40L, this is what beersmith says it will look like...but should be good.

brown.jpg

rich malty, roasty....JOY! :mug: (and very hoppy too!)

Alright, finally caught some time to take gravity readings and and pitch the yeast.

OG: 1.045
Effiencey: 62% This was the first time I did full volume no sparge so I shot high and came in lower than my expected of 1.055 OG no big deal.
Not gonna cry over it, just kicking myself a little bit for not being more pessimistic. Anyway, tasted the sample, it is just as @bracconiere said rich, malty and roasty...but not overpowering so I’m glad I went a little lighter on the Carmel Malt.

Anyway, gonna let the yeast do their thing for 2 weeks and then package. I’ll keep ya’ll updated. i'll post some pictures and videos tomorrow

just kicking myself a little bit for not being more pessimistic.

no need to be pessimistic. that's why i want to know how it tastes, if i want to work on effec. or not! it'll take like automatic stiring, misters...and before i put the thought into to doing i want to know how it tastes....

Effiencey: 62%

yeah if you're used to 70% with store bought, i get 90+% with store bought and 80% with my home malt.....

(i would have have given you a hint if i thought to give it an extra alpha rest at 162f...probablt would have bumped you up a bit)

***UPDATE***

Took a gravity reading on Day 7 of fermentation.

Est. FG: 1.011
FG: 1.008

San Diego Super yeast is legit a beast. Crazy fermentation!

Sample Notes:

Not aggressively hoppy but had a very nice balance to it. No roast character at all which surprised me by how the Crystal malt tasted.

Anyway, I'm gonna start cold crashing on Wednesday and package next Saturday. Very very excited now!

***UPDATE***

The beer has been kegged and bottled. Since I am currently on quarantine from work due to an exposure I took the opportunity on my lunch break to package 6 bottles and keg the remaining brew.

The beer smelled absolutely amazing! The hop schedule definitely worked out well for this one. I'm burst carbing at 30 PSI for 24 hours, 20 PSI for 48 and then i'll set to serving pressure and see what we get next Saturday or Sunday.

The 6 bottles are currently sitting in the corner of my dining room carbing up at approximately 68°. Looking forward to shipping a few of these out to my friend @bracconiere to see the fruits of his labor.

How's that keg??!!??
Any updates to share??
This is the best entertainment i've had since Tiger King!!!

Not much to update unfortunately! The beer is conditioning in the keg, going to try to tap it this weekend.

High school baseball season is in full swing so tough to stay awake long enough to drink.

I'll let y'all know how it goes when it happens!

Licking my wounds a little bit from an opening day loss but here is the beer:

9F07A3B9-4A6D-431F-8ED6-4CB639F738A9.jpeg

445C15EE-DDCA-4970-9A26-A0B3BD02A2A9.jpeg

B7D013CC-F120-4E22-84C4-2475A418EBCD.jpeg

Beer is delicious! Our friend @bracconiere definitely knows how to malt some grains!

It definitely drinks like a brown ale but my hop schedule with the NZ hops definitely makes it more fruity, which I'm digging!

Moral of the story: Brac's malt makes delicious beer!

i can't wait to post in "what came in the mail today", and "what are you drinking now"! i've always been to cheap to use that much hops, should be interesting what my 1.5oz's cranked up to 11 tastes like! ;) :mug:

now all i need to do is send someone some malt that live's in PNW with hop plants! too bad grampamark doesn't grow barley......it would be a 100% HBT brew! :mug:
Hey... i got 5 on it!!
That is, if my hops come in this year i am happy to ship some out to someone.
I am in Northern Cali. Not PNW.
Year 1 was great, last year they were fried to a crisp! Hopefully this year i will get another few pounds.
Cascade, crystal, columbus
Let me know... harvest is usually oct/ sept but it is gonna be late this year

Back