Bourbon!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have friends that travel and knowing I am a massive Bourbon lover.... They bring me goodies!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20140523_221543_467.jpg

Did a blind taste test with my neighbor and the 12 different Bourbons/Whiskey we own collectively.

Angel's Envy
Elija Craig 12
Jeremiah Weed
Larceny
Bulliet
Basil Haydens
Mckenna 10
Four Roses small batch
Tin Cup
Eagle Rare
Old Grandad 114
Sam Houston

Set it up as 3 flights of 4 then a best of show. Pretty damm interesting when you do it blind without pricepoints, lables and paradigms.

My top 4 in order were:

Bulliet
Larceny
Elija Craig 12
Henry Mckenna 10

His were:

Four Roses
Angel's Envy
and I forget the rest.

At the conclusion I was pretty tipsy, had a fatigued palate and really happy that I chose some of the cheaper stuff as my fav.

1401075304883.jpg

My daily bourbon is Jim Beam's Devil's Cut. But it has a little too much oak for some people, and isn't 'smooth' enough for them.

Bourbon is supposed to be a little rough around the edges, IMHO, and smooth to me means it has too much wheat in it (like Maker's Mark).

Did a blind taste test with my neighbor and the 12 different Bourbons/Whiskey we own collectively.

Angel's Envy
Elija Craig 12
Jeremiah Weed
Larceny
Bulliet
Basil Haydens
Mckenna 10
Four Roses small batch
Tin Cup
Eagle Rare
Old Grandad 114
Sam Houston

Set it up as 3 flights of 4 then a best of show. Pretty damm interesting when you do it blind without pricepoints, lables and paradigms.

My top 4 in order were:

Bulliet
Larceny
Elija Craig 12
Henry Mckenna 10

His were:

Four Roses
Angel's Envy
and I forget the rest.

At the conclusion I was pretty tipsy, had a fatigued palate and really happy that I chose some of the cheaper stuff as my fav.

Props to the bulliet!!!!

Angel's Envy
Elija Craig 12
Jeremiah Weed
Larceny
Bulliet
Basil Haydens
Mckenna 10
Four Roses small batch
Tin Cup
Eagle Rare
Old Grandad 114
Sam Houston

My top 4 in order were:

Bulliet
Larceny
Elija Craig 12
Henry Mckenna 10

His were:

Four Roses
Angel's Envy
and I forget the rest.

Do you guys need another friend? DAMN! That's a NICE display!

Cheers
Jay

Angel's Envy
Elija Craig 12
Jeremiah Weed
Larceny
Bulliet
Basil Haydens
Mckenna 10
Four Roses small batch
Tin Cup
Eagle Rare
Old Grandad 114
Sam Houston

My top 4 in order were:

Bulliet
Larceny
Elija Craig 12
Henry Mckenna 10

His were:

Four Roses
Angel's Envy
and I forget the rest.

Damn, you are in Colorado even and didn't invite me. I would have added some Bookers and Buffalo Trace to the mix.

HA!

Anyone know if Weller 12 is a seasonal release? I can't find it anywhere. Antique and Special Reserve are available in my area, so it's not a distributor issue....

HA!

Anyone know if Weller 12 is a seasonal release? I can't find it anywhere. Antique and Special Reserve are available in my area, so it's not a distributor issue....

I don't believe so... It's regularly stocked in one of my local liquor stores. They do sell out occasionally, though, and if it's like a lot of other bourbons, it might be in short supply due to increased demand.

I've had Bulleit it was prettybgood considerin it had a strong smell to it. Kinda smooth I was expectin rot gut type stuff. My palate has refined now and I'm a rye drinker. I do Jim Beam cuz I can afford it although Bulleit is the best.

I don't believe so... It's regularly stocked in one of my local liquor stores. They do sell out occasionally, though, and if it's like a lot of other bourbons, it might be in short supply due to increased demand.

Damm, where do you live?

This will have to tide me over for the time being. It's pretty amazing considering 30$ for a gigantic vat.... and better tasting than Makers Mark (which is twice the price)

1401499606223.jpg

Damm, where do you live?

This will have to tide me over for the time being. It's pretty amazing considering 30$ for a gigantic vat.... and better tasting than Makers Mark (which is twice the price)

Well, it's amazing how things change...

I happened to talk to the guy at my local store this past Saturday... I guess the Weller allotment for the state of California is now gone. They had the largest share in the state, and can't seem to get any more. The only one he may be able to get is the Antique 107, but has none now.

It looks like people figured it out... good, solid bourbon at bargain prices, and next thing you know, there's none left...

Antique is a pass anyway... NBD.

I've heard with the current Bourbon cultural resurgence, we're all looking at massive shortages and a price increase 10-20%. Good stuff just takes a long time to make

Side note, scored. some Stagg Jr today!

Antique is a pass anyway... NBD.

I've heard with the current Bourbon cultural resurgence, we're all looking at massive shortages and a price increase 10-20%. Good stuff just takes a long time to make

I'm hoping it's just because some hipsters have latched on to it, and that they'll soon move on to something else that they "knew before it was cool," leaving more bourbon for us...

Yep, Woodford, Willett and Michter's US*1 Small Batch.

These three are my every day bourbons. Michters rivals pappy in its complexity, for nearly a third the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My favorite whiskeys right now is Ranger Creeks whiskey. My favorite is rimfire. So good with hints of chocolate. Might have a pour tonight. Bourbon is awesome that i have a Garrison Brothers Whiskey barrel :p

I'm hoping it's just because some hipsters have latched on to it, and that they'll soon move on to something else that they "knew before it was cool," leaving more bourbon for us...

We can only hope....

It may be the Louisiana redneck in me, but my go to is Wild Turkey 101. This may borderline illegal but a bourbon & coke made with George C. Stagg & a Mexican coke is probably the best mixed drink I've ever had.

Whiskey is getting more expensive and selling out quickly. They can't keep up with demand in the value brands like Weller and the rare stuff. Just the standard, middle of the road labels are always in the shelf... and I get around a fair bit from the coast to Kentucky. I was just in Louisville. A friend wanted me to pick up Pappy. I was told that they only got a couple cases and it sold to locals on the day of who new it was coming. People pay whatever they ask

If you're willing to drop $50 Bookers is a great bourbon. It's uncut out of the barrel so you have to drink it on the rocks or cut it with a little water. For a more reasonable price I'm pretty partial to Knob Creek and Bulleit.

I think Knob Creek is great. Bulliet is pretty good, but I usually like bourbon over 100 proof, even for sipping straight.

I recently got a few friends together for a blind bourbon tasting (which turned into more of a whiskey drinking as the night went on, but I digress...)

I brought Elmer T. Lee (a commemorative single barrel offering from Buffalo Trace, I recommend it if you can find it), my buddies brought over Larceny, Bulleit Bourbon, and Woodford Reserve.

I've always been more of a high-rye-kinda-guy, and the ETL, Bulleit, and Larceny all fit that description. Past memories of Woodford were always a little sweet for me. Nothing here was the really top-shelf, wheated, age-for-beyond-15-year kind of stuff, but we're recent graduates and I'm fine with that.

Anyway, tasting blind, only one of the whiskeys really stood far apart from the others (and not in a good way.) The Larceny stood at 94 proof, whereas everything else was 90, so I thought it might be that. Wrong. With a distinctly medicinal note, slight astringency, and the only rating of "I just don't like this" of the four, was Woodford. I know that's probably a polarizing opinion, especially with all the "double oaked" fans in this thread. I just don't like the stuff. I could buy a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 for half the price and be twice as happy.

The Larceny and the Bulleit, in my opinion, were almost indistinguishable, despite the 2% alcohol difference. Maybe it's just the fact that all that alcohol burns out my tongue—I am better at flavor picking beer than whiskey. They were both nicely warm from the rye, and I could easily see myself drinking more than a few. Just hot enough to keep you interested without making you regret a sip. If you're gonna buy Bulleit, by the way, I say save yourself the money and buy their regular offerings instead of the 10/15 year. You'll hardly notice a difference except in the price—even their founder says that the high-rye whiskeys like his don't benefit very much beyond an 8-year aging.

The ETL was close in profile to the last two, and it also features a high-rye mash. It was my favorite bottle going into the tasting, but it's pretty hard to pick blind. It was slightly sweeter, and slightly more mild than the other two. But its finish was a little astringent for me, I guess. If you get to know the bottle, it's beautiful stuff. Lined up shot-for-shot, however, and the no-nonsense of the Bulleit and Larceny pulled a slight lead for me.

The Woodford and the ETL are both single barrel offerings, though, so they might have a little variation from bottle to bottle. I highly recommend the experiment of blind testing a few glasses to see how your expectations match reality. If you can't afford it yourself, hopefully you can find a couple friends. :)

I recently got a few friends together for a blind bourbon tasting (which turned into more of a whiskey drinking as the night went on, but I digress...)

I brought Elmer T. Lee (a commemorative single barrel offering from Buffalo Trace, I recommend it if you can find it), my buddies brought over Larceny, Bulleit Bourbon, and Woodford Reserve.

I've always been more of a high-rye-kinda-guy, and the ETL, Bulleit, and Larceny all fit that description. Past memories of Woodford were always a little sweet for me. Nothing here was the really top-shelf, wheated, age-for-beyond-15-year kind of stuff, but we're recent graduates and I'm fine with that.

Anyway, tasting blind, only one of the whiskeys really stood far apart from the others (and not in a good way.) The Larceny stood at 94 proof, whereas everything else was 90, so I thought it might be that. Wrong. With a distinctly medicinal note, slight astringency, and the only rating of "I just don't like this" of the four, was Woodford. I know that's probably a polarizing opinion, especially with all the "double oaked" fans in this thread. I just don't like the stuff. I could buy a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 for half the price and be twice as happy.

The Larceny and the Bulleit, in my opinion, were almost indistinguishable, despite the 2% alcohol difference. Maybe it's just the fact that all that alcohol burns out my tongue—I am better at flavor picking beer than whiskey. They were both nicely warm from the rye, and I could easily see myself drinking more than a few. Just hot enough to keep you interested without making you regret a sip. If you're gonna buy Bulleit, by the way, I say save yourself the money and buy their regular offerings instead of the 10/15 year. You'll hardly notice a difference except in the price—even their founder says that the high-rye whiskeys like his don't benefit very much beyond an 8-year aging.

The ETL was close in profile to the last two, and it also features a high-rye mash. It was my favorite bottle going into the tasting, but it's pretty hard to pick blind. It was slightly sweeter, and slightly more mild than the other two. But its finish was a little astringent for me, I guess. If you get to know the bottle, it's beautiful stuff. Lined up shot-for-shot, however, and the no-nonsense of the Bulleit and Larceny pulled a slight lead for me.

The Woodford and the ETL are both single barrel offerings, though, so they might have a little variation from bottle to bottle. I highly recommend the experiment of blind testing a few glasses to see how your expectations match reality. If you can't afford it yourself, hopefully you can find a couple friends. :)
I have also heard that about a lot o "standard" bourbon with rye. Notice that the Van Winkle and Weller hooch that are aged a long time are wheated bourbon. One thing about bourbon is that unlike Scotch, the use of newly charred barrels may allow bourbon to get to drinkable age a bit faster.

The blind tasting definitely is a great idea.

I think it all comes down to personal taste because I really like Woodford Reserve and Elmer T. Lee. I like Bulleit, but only buy it on occasion. I am somewhat neutral when it comes to Larceny. I am not a fan of anything made by Wild Turkey, including Wild Turkey 101, so obviously we wouldn't see eye to eye on that. I haven't bought it with my own money in at least 5 years now and have mostly only drank it at friend's houses where I still maintain that I don't care for its flavor.

But it's just that. I think it comes down to personal taste. I imagine that you and your friends didn't see eye to eye on all the whiskies you tried either.

(Just to add as a side note... I've personally loved every single whiskey to come out of the Buffalo Trace distillery. I love that place)

But it's just that. I think it comes down to personal taste. I imagine that you and your friends didn't see eye to eye on all the whiskies you tried either.

You're exactly right. I just meant to convey my impressions from the evening. Hell, not only didn't I see eye-to-eye with all of my friends, I might not even see eye-to-eye with myself if I tried it again.

You're exactly right. I just meant to convey my impressions from the evening. Hell, not only didn't I see eye-to-eye with all of my friends, I might not even see eye-to-eye with myself if I tried it again.

I've experienced that before where I tried a whiskey that I had felt neutral about or thought was just "okay" from the same bottle some time later and thought "Wow, this is actually pretty good."

I bought a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year about 2-3 weeks ago and it is very nice. One of the best whiskies I've had in a while.

My normal go-to Bourbon would have to be Buffalo Trace, I can usually find a 1.75L of it at my local store for around 42 bucks.

Sometimes I'll just chill my unrinsed coffee mug in the fridge, then splash a little BT over the dried coffee residue, makes for an interesting flavor.

Bookers is what I'll go for if I really want a sipper.

I'm interested to see how the 25th anniv Bookers is, I'll open that when I get home in 3 months.

Other than that Michters holds its own, but is a little more $ for a 750.

It may be the Louisiana redneck in me, but my go to is Wild Turkey 101. This may borderline illegal but a bourbon & coke made with George C. Stagg & a Mexican coke is probably the best mixed drink I've ever had.

I have a friend who is a huge bourbon drinker and someone I'd consider an expert. He always says 'If you don't like WT 101, you don't like bourbon'.

I love it. It's rough, like bourbon is supposed to be. Some of the new high-end bourbons are too smooth, if that makes any sense. I like anything WT makes. One of my favorites is Russell's Reserve. Rare Breed is good stuff too.

Elijah Craig 12 yr. is my best bang for the buck.

Back