Bourbon Oak in Stout- When

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished an Oatmeal Stout and I'd like to add a bit of bourbon'd oak chips to it. I'm almost 2 days into fermentation.

I'm thinking I'd start the soak today and add to the beer (in a hopsack) at about 5 days and let it ferment out. OR, should I let it ferment out and 'dry hop' with the chips for another few days before pulling the bag and bottling/kegging.

What say you who have the experience??

Hey Bill,

When I did my Bourbon Old Ale I used a 3 week secondary and just sampled occasionally so I didn't over do it. I used cubes, 2 oz. soaked

I let the beer finish fermenting and then rack onto the chips for a few weeks and then bottle. My thinking is, and I could be wrong, is that the alcohol on the chips (and if you add the bourbon the chips were soaking in- as I do) could make the yeast poop out early, making you miss your FG. Also, adding the chips to an active fermentation could cause you to lose some of the more delicate notes from the oak. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Thanks Mike.. Keep thinking of you every time a 'copter flies over :)

Sounds like your class went well.. Hope to see you sometime soon.. maybe even see your new brewery??? Hint Hint.

Poured for Sudwerk this past weekend at Beer in the Plaza.. Always a great event.

Back