Bourbon County Stout clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to make the same point regarding a 2015 bottle. Funny that their website does not mention it as an ingredient though.
I was speculating on the fact that wheat/dark wheat could maybe be responsible for the great mouthfeel in this stout when i noticed that on the bottle.

the thing about gluten makes sense, but why falsely claim an ingredient? that'd be CYA to the extreme. just say "contains gluten" instead, it gets right to the chase. seems odd, no?

i still believe they used wheat...;)

I don't think they use wheat, they showed a video of their brew sheet, wheat isn't a ingredient. The mouthfeel (and sweetness) comes from the high specialty grain percentage. No to mention they boil for 4 hours that has to cause a ton of carmilization of the wort.

The grain % that GI uses is:

64% 2 Row
21% Bolander Munich Malt
4% Chocolate Malt
4% Caramel 60
4% Roasted barley
3% Debittered Black Malt

Those % are from GI brew log sheets for this years BCBS, however, I would wager that is the % every year and the slight differences are crop differences, efficiency and aging.

I was going to make the same point regarding a 2015 bottle. Funny that their website does not mention it as an ingredient though.
I was speculating on the fact that wheat/dark wheat could maybe be responsible for the great mouthfeel in this stout when i noticed that on the bottle.

the thing about gluten makes sense, but why falsely claim an ingredient? that'd be CYA to the extreme. just say "contains gluten" instead, it gets right to the chase. seems odd, no?

i still believe they used wheat...;)

I wonder if the wheat is used in the bourbon that may be still in the barrels and that is why they have to list it. I do know people that are super sensitive to wheat and even the smallest amount makes them sick.

I wonder if the wheat is used in the bourbon that may be still in the barrels and that is why they have to list it. I do know people that are super sensitive to wheat and even the smallest amount makes them sick.

Dang, i knew i was overlooking something. I'd have to support this as the reason, no other explanation imo.

So it's the residual wheat in the wood that contributes the extra protein for the beer's texture right? (lol, I'm not going to let that die just yet)

I saw a thread where us 05 was used after the first ferm was done then after that one is down move to secondary and add bourbon soaked cubes or etc and let it sit for at least 6 months or etc depending on how you oak it like cubs spirals etc

64% 2 Row
21% Bolander Munich Malt
4% Chocolate Malt
4% Caramel 60
4% Roasted barley
3% Debittered Black Malt

Those % are from GI brew log sheets for this years BCBS, however, I would wager that is the % every year and the slight differences are crop differences, efficiency and aging.

Any chance you could point in the direction where you found that?

In the grit and grain series online there is a brief second where they show the brew log sheet. I paused it, screen shot it, and then converted their weight into percentage so I could easily scale it in my brew software.

In the grit and grain series online there is a brief second where they show the brew log sheet. I paused it, screen shot it, and then converted their weight into percentage so I could easily scale it in my brew software.

solid - thanks bro!

if you can track down a link to that episode id like to watch it

The only thing I could not see was the hop schedule. It also listed OG, color, yeast (although it only said Ale yeast, so whatever their house ale strain is), and IBU's. but that info is all over the place anyways.

Check out YouTube and just search "grist to grain". It's the version that's just over 45 minutes. I happened to notice the brew sheet when I was watching it too.

64% 2 Row
21% Bolander Munich Malt
4% Chocolate Malt
4% Caramel 60
4% Roasted barley
3% Debittered Black Malt

When I plug that in to beersmith I'm only getting an SRM of 61. I'm not doubting your numbers just curious how it's so different.

Brewing this very soon. If it wasn't so expensive I'd brew enough to fill the Four Roses barrel I've got.

When I plug that in to beersmith I'm only getting an SRM of 61. I'm not doubting your numbers just curious how it's so different.

Brewing this very soon. If it wasn't so expensive I'd brew enough to fill the Four Roses barrel I've got.

Try subbing the chocolate and/or roasted barley for a darker version as those two malts can vary pretty widely in SRM

I use beer tools pro and it calculated the SRM as 37.1. I will admit, I never pay attention to SRM calculations, so I did not even notice that.

On the GI brew log sheet, it lists color as 180, so I am not even sure what scale they are using.

probably right.

Last I check its Dark ...does exact color matter once you get past 20?

i think folks are using the calculated color as a barometer of how close they are their specialty grains. i agree that it's gonna be "black" in the glass, but i have noticed that not all stouts have the same depth in color. if you tilt your glass to get a thinner layer of beer, you can really get a feel for dark the beer really is.

I use Beeralchemy and my latest batch calculates at a 66.6 SRM using Morey

Tried my first bcbs.homebrew clone bottle it's pretty good flavors are there.but mild I pick up bourbon oak and vanilla so far

Maybe I missed this, but what kind of IBUs are people shooting for here? I've seen beers this big range from 40-80 IBUs. Any recomendations on a hop schedule?

Maybe I missed this, but what kind of IBUs are people shooting for here? I've seen beers this big range from 40-80 IBUs. Any recomendations on a hop schedule?

The recipe from the video says 60+ so I'm shooting for 60. You really just want the IBUs without worrying about hop character. I would go with a single hop addition some before the end of the boil. I think I have mine set at 60 min but it really doesn't matter that much

Attached is a screenshot from Goose's "Grit and Grain - The Story of Bourbon County Stout". It is the top of the BCS brew sheet.

IBU: 60+
Color: 180
Target OG: 30 / 1.131
Apparent Extract: 10.5 / 1.042
ABV: 11.75
Yeast: Ale

Malt Weight (LB) Ratio
2 Row 3100 64.4%
Bonlander Munich Malt 1000 20.8%
Chocolate 200 4.2%
C-60 200 4.2%
Roasted Barley 200 4.2%
Black Malt 116 2.4%

Absent is the mash temp, hop schedule, coffee addition, and the rest of the magic.

This is good starting point. Hops aren't prominent so a bittering charge may be all that is needed.

Hope this helps. The 47 minute video is well done and informational.

Vimeo: [ame="https://vimeo.com/146417314"]https://vimeo.com/146417314[/ame]
YouTube:

BCS Brew Sheet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Several posters were trying to create the GI recipe in Beersmith. I created one to get your started. Note that it's for a 10-gal batch at 74.4% efficiency with a 2-hr boil. Scale it to your system and adjust accordingly.

For example, I'd scale to my equipment, probably lower the efficiency to ~60% and add DME to make up the difference. I'd also sub-out the Willamette hops for a higher alpha English hop so it didn't require 9oz for a 10-gal batch.

If there are any issues with the file, let me know so I can fix them for future users.

Cheers!

ETA: here it is in text

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bourbon County Brand Stout
Brewer: Goose Island
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.44 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.129 SG
Estimated Color: 63.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.40 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
31 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 63.5 %
10 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.5 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.1 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.1 %
1 lbs 12.8 oz Debittered Black Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.7 %
9.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 58.6 IBUs
4.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
1.0 pkg Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP0 Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 48 lbs 12.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 80.06 qt of water at 166.9 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Sources:
Goose Island website: http://www.gooseisland.com/beer-bourbon-county-stout.html
Goose Island's video series, Grit & Grain, Chapter 6 @ 3:17 mark: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZc1c52Ue1U[/ame]

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

View attachment GI_Bourbon_County_Brand_Stout.bsmx

Here was my take on BCBS
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/295381/schubrew-ris-ii

Its not exactly what Goose Island does...I used what I had on hand. I used Vienna Malt instead of Munich...and used CaraFa II instead of De-bittered black...I also was low on roasted malt and used some brown malt to make up the difference.

I used the cold steep method with all the dark malt. Really like this method. Grind all the dark malt finely soak overnight in a quart of water for every pound...then filter. Add the extract at flameout. Allows the chocolate and roasty flavors to really shine without all the unwanted bitterness.

I did a 90 Minute mash at 154 and a 90 minute boil

After fermentation I split up my 5 gallon batch....2 - 1 gallon jugs and a 3 gallon carboy. The 3 gallon carboy got a honeycomb barrel aged alternative soaked in bourbon for a week...one gallon got 4 madgascar vanilla beans...the other got some coffee...

Did some taste test last night...all 3 are awesome and are very inspired by BCBS...boozy, rich, great mouthful...a little sweet. Really love how it turned out

We did a different RIS to fill our BCBS barrel
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Sg1YvdPlI[/ame]

Although I was able to find and stash quite a few bottles of the real thing, my second attempt at re-creating something similar is currently aging in my fermentation tank. I should have some details on Final gravity very soon

So maybe someone can help me out and let me know if I'm being crazy...

I plan to brew this the first weekend of June and then age it until Christmas time. I just added 2 oz. of French oak to about 16 oz. of Bulleit Bourbon and stuck the whole mess in a tupperware container in a dark cabinet. My intention was to thoroughly 'bourbonize' the wood chips so I can add only those, not the liquor, to secondary fermentation.

Are there are downsides to this I haven't thought through? My thought process was that in commercial examples barrels have whiskey in them for quite a while and then the whiskey is removed. I am thinking my process would replicate the commercial version.

I plan to brew this the first weekend of June and then age it until Christmas time. I just added 2 oz. of French oak to about 16 oz. of Bulleit Bourbon and stuck the whole mess in a tupperware container in a dark cabinet. My intention was to thoroughly 'bourbonize' the wood chips so I can add only those, not the liquor, to secondary fermentation.

Are there are downsides to this I haven't thought through? My thought process was that in commercial examples barrels have whiskey in them for quite a while and then the whiskey is removed. I am thinking my process would replicate the commercial version.

My thoughts aligned with this guy here. He makes great beer. A very informative read. I could not have said it better myself:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2015/12/barrel-aged-stouts-and-charred-oak.html?m=1

I watched an episode of Moonshiners this weekend where the group quickly aged corn whisky into 'scotch' by soaking the product w/oak cubes then heating and cooling to expand/contract the oak like it would naturally.

Back