• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Staves and Pieces of staves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffinman

Reaction score
I picked up some Bourbon Barrel Staves and Pieces of staves to use in beer flavoring and while I was there got a few extras. Have you ever wanted to age a beer and get that bourbon flavor but didn't want to fork out a $100 plus? Then you may want to try some of these. They are made of white oak chard and filled with Kentucky bourbon and aged. I have 2 offers.
1. 3lbs of bourbon barrel stave pieces for $10 plus shipping. They are all fresh no dried out old barrels here. They are just like the ones in the photo.
You will have to use a torch and char the outer side.

2. 1 premium large size stave processed by me for $20 plus shipping.
I trim the outside edge off and char that side and cut into 4 sections for shipping.

Pm me if interested. If you want to check shipping cost I use USPS and they have a calculator on there web site. Use 3.5 lbs for the weight and 40047 as the ship from zip.

FILE0030.jpg

FILE0029.jpg

FILE0028.jpg

FILE0027.jpg

FILE0026.jpg

FILE0025.jpg

Wouldn't the outside of these infect your beer? and if you Sterilize them wouldn't that take away the flavor?

Asking for a friend...

Wouldn't the outside of these infect your beer? and if you Sterilize them wouldn't that take away the flavor?

Asking for a friend...

Yes, the outside edge can carry all kinds of critters. There is really no way to sterilize wood. Boiling will extract the tannins that you want for flavor. Bret can go very deep into wood so a starsan soak may not kill it.

All you need to do is cut away the outside edge (possible infected wood) then charring it for preservation and flavor. If it were me, I'd putt a little bourbon on the wood and vacuum seal it in bag while I wait for the beer to finish fermenting.

Back