Bourbon addition started secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarov

Reaction score
So I've had a Russian Imperial Stout sitting in secondary for 2 weeks now after a primary fermentation, and I was going to bottle in a week. I've had a mixture of bourbon, cut and scraped vanilla beans, oak chips, and 2 cinnamon sticks since I first brewed the stout. When I added them today, my airlock bubbled quicker than normal, previously it would bubble about once every 2-3 minutes, and now it's once every 30 seconds or so. I'm just wondering if there is residual sugar in bourbon that gets fermented, I didn't add a lot of bourbon, probably 5-6 ounces.

There shouldn't be a lot of fermentables in bourbon, as sugar often looked down on as an addition. What you may have done is caused some of the CO2 in solution to degas. Is it still bubbling?

More likely the agitation caused the bubbling than the additions, which don't have much if any sugar in them.

Sounds delicious, by the way.

Ah that makes sense now, and it's started slowing again now, almost back to the way it was. And Cyclman, if only you could smell it.

Back