bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch yesterday, crossing my fingers it turns out ok. I used a wand and it was all very easy. I filled the bottles ALL the way to the top, to the point where it would almost spill out if I wasn't careful. This is how it's done right? What happens when you underfill vs overfill a bottle?

Thanx

Hmm, if you used a wand you should be fine. With the wand, you fill it just about to the brim, then when you remove the wand there's an equal amount of headspace to the volume of beer the wand had displaced. That small amount of headspace is important because the co2 needs space to build up before it's dissolved back into the solution. Check out a regular old commercial beer bottle to see how much space you should have left.

Yes, you did it exactly as you should. When you remove the bottle filler it leaves the perfect amount of headspace.

I believe too little headspace could cause a dangerous pressure build up as CO2 in solution tries to equalize with the headspace and can't. Whereas with too much headspace, more CO2 would escape into the neck and lead to flatter beer.

There is about 1 inch of headspace. I compared it to some beer I have and it is a little bit less than commercial beer headspace.

Underfilled = Flat beer
Overfilled = Beer bomb

Is this correct?

When I bottle with a wand, I fill it to the lower ledge that the capper grips, then remove the wand. The volume of the wand removed will lower the liquid to the 1.5 inch mark or there about. My bottles are filled about a thumb width from that lower ledge.

There is about 1 inch of headspace. I compared it to some beer I have and it is a little bit less than commercial beer headspace.

Underfilled = Flat beer
Overfilled = Beer bomb

Is this correct?

Oh ok. Scared me, sorry. You're correct and should have a great batch of beer in a few weeks.

Underfilled = Flat beer
Overfilled = Beer bomb

Is this correct?

1 inch is fine. As for under filled bottles my last bottle is usually partially filled about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle. So far they have carbed up fine for me.

Back