Bottling Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
I've seen a few mentions lately of adding bottling yeast? It seems to be mostly with big beers or aged beers. What are the specific times this might be necessary? Any procedures?

I supposed you could do it all the time as it wouldn't seem like it could hurt anything....

I've seen a few mentions lately of adding bottling yeast? It seems to be mostly with big beers or aged beers. What are the specific times this might be necessary? Any procedures?

I supposed you could do it all the time as it wouldn't seem like it could hurt anything....

You will pretty much always have yeast still viable to carbonate your beer. Having said that I pretty much always add a little champagne yeast EC1118 when I bottle. This gives me consistent carbonation usually within two weeks. I find that without adding bottling yeast my lagers and big beers like double ipa sometimes takes up to 4 weeks to fully carbonate.

My procedure is to use about 50ml of warm water to rehydrate the champagne yeast. I sprinkle enough yeast to cover the water surface. Let it proof for 15 minutes or so and then stir it into the bottling bucket.

Unless you have aged the beer for an extended period of time or the yeast gave up early, you probably do not need to add yeast for carbonation. It might take a bit longer than 2 weeks, though, depending on the yeast strain. Otherwise, you could add yeast just as NTexBrewer said.You'd be surprised how long yeast can hang around dormant waiting for the right conditions.

Back