Bottling with the Help of Dry Ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say that other styles do not show the problem it says to me that oxidation is NOT your problem. At least not introduced during the bottling process.

I've really focused on IPAs. Unfortunately, the flavors of an IPA are very sensitive to oxygen- they fade rapidly with exposure. And as I stated earlier in the thread, the brewery that talked to me about IPAs stated that oxygen is the enemy of any good IPA.

The only other beers that I have brewed were darker - ambers and stouts. These beers cover up a lot of sins.

I'm actually pretty happy that a lot of you folks can brew and bottle pretty tasty IPAs without problems. I can not - I brew them just fine but something horrible happens between fermenter and bottle. I strongly suspect (but have not confirmed) that it is oxidation. I do know that the CO2 treatment solved the problem as I simply added the step of flushing my bottles with dry ice and then flushing the headspace with additional dry ice. I changed no other part of my bottling process and I have no further issues with off flavors.

Cheers!

Back