Bottling too soon? Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvissoc

Reaction score
Brewing up the Chimay Grande Reserve clone from the book, "Beer Captured" by Tess and Mark Szamatulski. I'm near ready to bottle. In the instructions, it says to add another dose of yeast 3 days before bottling. I did that and started getting activity in the airlock. (It has been sitting idle for a month or more with no activity). 5 days later, I'm still seeing a bubble or three per minute. Should I go ahead and prime and bottle, or will I risk bottle bombing the basement? I can check the gravity again, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about the target of 1.015 to 1.016. I've borrowed a corking device. I'll be bottling a portion in 12 belgian bottles. The rest in 22oz and 12oz bottles.
Oh, and I harvested the yeast from actual Chimay Grande Reserve beer for fermentation and bottle conditioning.

Tony

Any time that you add fresh yeast you're going to create more carbonation. What do they say for bottle priming? Perhaps that's the effect they were going for...use yeast instead of sugar?

Corn sugar and light candi belgian sugar for priming. I know this particular brew is rather sudsy. I just don't want to be exploding bottles. I think I'll wait until tomorrow and just do it.

Bottle 2 or 3 in plastic soda bottles. When they are hard you know they are carbed. Usually it takes a week or more. I had one batch carb up in about 3 days. I was concerned about bottle bombs. They see fine.

Back