Bottling these gals tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neoreaver

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I managed to get a few days off in a row, and a couple of my melomels are ready to bottle (I'm basing this on clarity and flavor).

I thought I'd throw them in 750ml punted clear bottles, but they're fairly hefty, and warm one's insides. I can't imagine going through that much in even a few days. Would clear beer bottles even be an option? I tend to only see green or brown, for obvious reasons. Here are the lovely liquid ladies in question:
20190411_121343.jpg
Can you guess what's behind each?

They look awesome. Beer bottles with crown caps work great. I prefer brown bottles as there is some belief light can cause some off flavors. I dont know if there is any basis to it for mead but I wont risk it.

I would keep them away from light regardless. Thanks for the tip, I just wanted to show off the colors. The left is a peach-orange(with just a bit of v8 strawberry-kiwi), and the right is a blackberry.

Edit: Thanks for the compliment! It seemed rude to not acknowledge it. :mug:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Why would light be an issue? With beer, you're worried that light will skunk it because of the hops, but you're not hopping your mead, and most people ferment mead in clear carboys so if mead could get skunked by light, it seems like it would be too late by the time you're bottling anyway.

I'll give another vote to flip-tops, regardless of what color you use. Crown caps mean you're fairly well obliged to drink it in one sitting, which it seems is not your preference with these brews.

Swing tops would be rad for a number of reasons. It's just a touch pricey right now. I'll most likely pick up individuals when I can. I could re-use grolsch bottles, I suppose. I forget what it tastes like.
Thank you for the info guys, this is great!

I ended up getting 16oz beer bottles at my LHBS, as they had a great deal, and I mentioned the clear bottles that Rph_Guy found, and said he'd look into them. I'm glad that's all over with, bottling even 2 gallons is tiring. Thanks for the ideas!

For those curious, my new profile pic is a goblet of the blackberry mead in this post. I always like when threads end in a picture of the finished product. For those like me, Enjoy
20190412_214440.jpg

Clear wine bottles are available in 750mL (24oz), 375mL (12oz), and 187mL (6oz).

I see some 16oz and 8.5oz clear swing tops on Amazon.
Aaaand standard 12oz clear beer bottles here
http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/12oz-clear-beer-bottles/beer-bottles

Hope this helps

If you get clear swingtop bottles, stay away from these. They're not tight. Looks like there are actually some bad reviews now, though. Wasn't when I got them, damnit. (though I can't complain as I never write reviews myself)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I47DW50/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back