Bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, our 1st brew will have been sitting in the fermenter for 3 weeks this coming weekend. I will take reading and hopefully will have reached FG so we can start bottling. Here is my question:

How full do you fill the bottles? I've heard fill to the top to lessen the chances of beer bombs, others say to leave about an inch from the top. Is there a general rule of thumb?

Also, if we do start to get exploding bottles, what can we do, open the bottles and recap?...... Thanks

If you fill to the top with a bottling wand, once it is removed you will have about an inch of space which is what you want.

You should take a reading and check it over the next 3 days to see if it remains stable.

Sometimes (for any number of reasons) complete fermentation may take a little more time.

If the SG is stable (and near to what you expected) you can bottle it if you want.

Using a bottle filling wand is the best way to go as stated above by LiquidArtisan.

You should not get bombs if the beer has finished fermenting, your sanitation is good and the amount of priming sugar is correct.

bosco

If you fill to the top with a bottling wand, once it is removed you will have about an inch of space which is what you want.

this^^^

put the wand all the way to the bottom of the bottle so that you don't splash, and then fill the bottle until is overflows ever so slightly.

when you pull out the want, you will have a perfectly filled bottle.

Latest posts

Back