bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

force33

Reaction score
I mostly keg and force carbonate but my questioning i guess is, can I take and bottle some of the carbonated beer from my kegs and have it be fine?

Simple answer: Yes...

I have both one of the Bowie bottler setups and a Blichmann Beer Gun... I use the Beer Gun far more due to how easier it is to use, setup, and how you can fill as many bottles as you wish without touching the faucet. One piece of advise I'd give on the Beer Gun is don't get the accessory kit, just get the hardware to connect the CO2 to it via a ball lock post (or pin lock if that's the kind of kegs you have). I did it and it's far easier to setup/tear-down that way. Plus, you can use a standard gas line setup (I have several 'spare' lines and CO2 bottles/tankes and regulators). Follow the included instructions and you're good to go.

My largest complaint with the Bowie setup is the o-rings in the fitting. I know there are two different sized o-rings, but I cannot tell the difference between them on the fitting, nor in the spares that I ordered with it. Plus, you get the wand and tubing setup and you have to do more to get that 100% working. Not to mention, that if you use the pre-made add-on kit, it's easy to get beer shooting up from the bottles. Not so with the Beer Gun.

As I said, I have, and have used both. No matter which one you get, be sure to chill your bottles down to the brew's temperature before you go to fill them up. I'd also carbonate a bit higher than you would normally to serve from the faucet, so that it's less issue IF you lose any carbonation as you bottle from keg. Experiment on your own and decide.

Not without something to keep the beer flowing through more 3/16" ID hose... You'll lose carbonation if you just fill directly from the tap (same method as filling a glass). This is why there are items like the Beer Gun out there. :tank:

BTW, IF I was able to do it all over again, I would just get the Beer Gun and configure it to get CO2 via a keg gas post (as it's configured now). You can get the fitting to go into the gun from a couple of places, then connect the gas post to it and not need to worry. Plus, IMO, it seals better than the default/included connection. :D

I also like how the Beer Gun lets you purge the bottle with CO2, then fill from the bottom stopping when it's full. The Bowie bottler setup doesn't have a CO2 purge setup on it, so you can't do that with it. There is a price difference, of course, but I think you can get a solid keg bottling setup for under $100 with either option. IMO, that's pretty damned cheap considering how long they will work.

Very good. I just watched couple video s of the beer gun. Looks like I ll go with that. Btw sixty four dollars and free shipping on it from Austin homebrew supply I think. Love the co2 purging feature

You'll want the fitting to go under a gas post that lets you adapt it to a corny keg post. I believe it comes with the 1/4" NPT to 1/4" MFL fitting. So you just need the 1/4" MFL female to 19/32 NPT male fitting to directly attach a corny keg gas post.

This fitting, will let you attach this post so that you can then use a gas QD to use for the bottle purge. So, another ~$22 and you're there. A few dollars more than the accessory kit but, IMO, far easier to use since you won't need any tools to connect up the gas feed.

Back