Bottling options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
I am about to bottle a couple batches of beer and I have just been using plastic pint bottles with PET caps. But I don't have enough for this batch and i was wondering if you can use glass liquor bottles? I tried putting on one of the plastic caps and it fits perfectly. Anyone ever tried this?

No! don't do that! Those bottles aren't designed to hold pressure, and I'd be very concerned about using them.

You can use plastic soda bottles, though, without any problem. Just use clear soda, like sprite or 7-up. Root beer and Dr. Pepper have smells that just won't clean out of the plastic bottles!

No! don't do that! Those bottles aren't designed to hold pressure, and I'd be very concerned about using them.

You can use plastic soda bottles, though, without any problem. Just use clear soda, like sprite or 7-up. Root beer and Dr. Pepper have smells that just won't clean out of the plastic bottles!

ok, thats what I was worried about. Thanks for the help:mug:

Why not use glass bottles like the rest of us?

Because I was given 2 cases of plastic ones so I don't have a capper. In the near future I will be buying glass bottles and a capper. Does anyone have a suggestion for which capper to get? Is the bench one worth the extra money? Or should I just go for the hand held one?

Because I was given 2 cases of plastic ones so I don't have a capper. In the near future I will be buying glass bottles and a capper. Does anyone have a suggestion for which capper to get? Is the bench one worth the extra money? Or should I just go for the hand held one?

I've used the hand held one for many years, no problems.

Back