Bottling my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
I have a 6g batch of oatmeal stout that's ready to bottle.
OG 1.068
FG 1.008
What would you recommend for carbing? Please advise as to how much water and how much corn sugar. I'm not sure I'm doing the ratio correctly, because my last couple batches have been super carbed, I'm going for a medium to high end of low carbonation on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A good rule of thumb for a low/medium carb level is .75 ounces of corn sugar, by weight, per finished gallon. for a higher carb leve, 1 oz of corn sugar per gallon would be great.

You can use 2 cups of water or so, and boil it and then dissolve the sugar in it and boil for a minute or two. The amount of water really doesn't matter, but it dissolves well in 2 cups or so.

I have a 6g batch of oatmeal stout that's ready to bottle.
OG 1.068
FG 1.008
What would you recommend for carbing? Please advise as to how much water and how much corn sugar. I'm not sure I'm doing the ratio correctly, because my last couple batches have been super carbed, I'm going for a medium to high end of low carbonation on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Describe the last two batches that were over carbed and how you primed them for carbonation.
This site has bottle carbing information and the different types of sugars that can be used for carbonation.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Carbonation calculators are not exact though because there are variables introduced by your own technique of handling the sugar solution addition and the bottle conditioning time and temperature.

Latest posts

Back