Bottling my Belgian strong dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IABrewer

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle my Belgian strong dark ale from secondary. I had planned to repitch yeast a few days before bottling. However, two weeks ago I pitched a second round of yeast into the secondary because gravity was too high when I took it out of primary. (That was mistake #1.)

So I"m hoping to get opinions on whether it would be better to just bottle with the yeast that's in there now, or repitch before bottling. If it makes a difference, I'm planning to bottle into 12oz and 22oz bottles with crown caps - don't want to carbonate more than those can handle.

Thanks.

If you pitched more yeast 2 weeks ago you'll be fine with what's in suspension

Thanks. Follow up question: gravity is now 1.030, from 1.094. It hasn't changed much in a week. should I still use DME for priming when I bottle?

I had a dark strong that started at 1.100 and ended at 1.013. I didn't add any more yeast to the keg and did a keg conditioning. The yeast was still able to produce carbonation. You will be fine. I would just use corn sugar for bottling

Maybe repitch a starter at high krausen and try to get you beer to finish. At 1.030 it's got to be really sweet. What yeast did you use?

It is sweet. Didn't think I could get it any less so, after pitching yeast twice.

I used Wyeast 1388 (Belgian strong ale) both in the primary and when I re-pitched into the secondary. Made a starter each time, pitched at about 24 hours.

The recipe I used for 5 gallons:
Partial mash x 30 min:
16 oz Caramunich
8 oz Belgian aromatic
7 oz Belgian biscuit
4 oz Special B
2 oz British chocolate
10.75 lbs extra light DME
1 lb clear candi syrup
4 oz dark candi syrup
6 oz maltodextrin
Hops, total 2oz, at 0, 45, and 58 minutes.

OG 1.094.

Wyeast 1388 (Belgian strong ale) in a 1.6L starter pitched at about 72 degrees. Primary x 3 weeks.
Unfortunately, I didn't measure gravity until after I racked to secondary, where I found it to be 1.044. The airlock wasn't bubbling any more.
Repitched Wyeast 1388 in a 1L starter into the secondary. Reasonable airlock activity for 72 hours, but never really saw kraeusen.
Gravity 1.032 after 2 weeks, 1.030 after 1 more week.

2 possible issues: First, temperature in the room was probably 63-65 most of the time; and second, I used softened tap water in the starters: never really saw kraeusen, and the yeast seemed to settle at the bottom of the flask. (I used bottled drinking water for the main boil.)

Back