Bottling high FG beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I posted earlier about having a high gravity reading of 1.024 (target 1.018) when racking to the secondary, the OG was 1.078. Anyway, after 2-3 weeks in the secondary if the FG hasn't dropped any lower and I bottle at that, what's my risk of bottle bombs? The reason I ask is because there's obviously still suspended yeast in the secondary as I still see more and more accumulating on the bottom of the carboy. Shouldn't this yeast be eating away at the fermentables (If there's any left)? When I add the priming sugar and bottle, if the yeast didn't eat what was left when I was at 24 points, why would it eat any more than the added priming sugar? Does this make sense?

1.078 is a pretty big beer. I would be thinking about three weeks in primary and then 6 to 8 weeks bulk aging in secondary before I bottled.

You might try rousing the yeast back into activity by racking the brew into a fresh carboy if you feel your technique is pretty clean. Otherwise just relax, drink a beer and wait a little longer.

Well I racked to the secondary a few days ago and plan to let it sit for at least another 3 weeks, so I guess I'll see where the specific gravity is then.

Latest posts

Back