Bottling from 55L fermzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfmed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a question regarding the fermzilla that I cant seem to find an answer to. I was wondering if it was possible to add the priming sugar to the fermzilla the same way one would dry hop and then proceed to use pressure and a bottling wand to move the beer into bottles. I don’t have keg equipment so I need to bottle the beer. The real question is: would adding the sugar this way make sure its properly mixed, or do I risk all the sugar staying in the bottom half of the fermenter?

Thanks!

Thoroughly mixing the priming sugar into the beer in your fermenter is impossible without stirring up the yeast/trub cake on the bottom. Unless you drop all the yeast/trub beforehand, which can be tricky or incomplete.

Best common way is to rack the beer (not the trub) to a bottling bucket containing the priming sugar solution and give it a stir to mix. Then bottle from there.

Or...
Prime each bottle with the right amount of sugar and siphon the clear beer from your Fermzilla into each bottle.

Thoroughly mixing the priming sugar into the beer in your fermenter is impossible without stirring up the yeast/trub cake on the bottom. Unless you drop all the yeast/trub beforehand, which can be tricky or incomplete.

Best common way is to rack the beer (not the trub) to a bottling bucket containing the priming sugar solution and give it a stir to mix. Then bottle from there.

Or...
Prime each bottle with the right amount of sugar and siphon the clear beer from your Fermzilla into each bottle.
I guess I'll try racking it to my bottling bucket with the solution in it. Sucks that I have to do it twice because my buckets don't hold 55L but for now it will do. Thanks!

I guess I'll try racking it to my bottling bucket with the solution in it. Sucks that I have to do it twice because my buckets don't hold 55L but for now it will do. Thanks!
If you have another 55l Fermzilla you can do a closed transfer of your beer into that (leaving trub behind), under a little pressure.
But it's really easy to bottle two 22 liter batches, one after the other, while you're at it.

Maybe look into kegging. You only use 2 "bottles," they're just big, 5 gallon ones. ;)

If you have another 55l Fermzilla you can do a closed transfer of your beer into that (leaving trub behind), under a little pressure.
But it's really easy to bottle two 22 liter batches, one after the other, while you're at it.

Maybe look into kegging. You only use 2 "bottles," they're just big, 5 gallon ones. ;)
A 2nd 55L All Rounder can be had from Long Island Homebrew for only $60.

I just bought a FermZilla All Rounder. Since I can't afford the kegging gear just yet, I'm going to use the counter pressure filler to fill bottles directly from my FermZilla. I won't have enough CO2 in-solution, though, so I'll use an online calculator to determine how much dextrose I'll need to add to each bottle, then xfer'ing partially-carbonated beer from the FermZilla should do it. That's my battle plan, at least. Of course, plans usually fail upon enemy contact. Not that bottles are my enemy, though I sure hate filling them. (To make it better, I focus on how much fun it'll be emptying them!)

Latest posts

Back