Bottling early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larkin989

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm a new home brewer attempting my first batch. It is an Amber Ale which came with step by step instructions. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch in a plastic fermenter, I peeked inside today and there is no krausen. Would it hurt to bottle the beer about 36 hours early? The directions that came with the brew kit say to let it ferment for about 2 weeks, it is currently day 12.

I'm going to be away from home for awhile the next couple days, which is why I want to get the beer into bottles. But I am also not trying to make beer bombs.

So basically my question is: Will bottling a little early impact the flavor of the beer? Any input is much appreciated :)

Do you have a hydrometer? Or any way possible to test gravity?

You don't want to bottle before fermentation is complete. If you do, you run the risk of exploding bottles (glad you're aware of them!). If you don't have a hydrometer or can't take a gravity reading, wait the full two weeks. That will make it all the more possible that fermentation will be complete. They give 2 weeks as a general rule of thumb. Some beers finish sooner, some take longer.

I do have a hydrometer! When using it, what would be a good indicator that it is ready for bottles?

You say your going away for a couple days. I'd leave it. Extra time on top of the two weeks will not hurt.

I do have a hydrometer! When using it, what would be a good indicator that it is ready for bottles?

The way you know is by taking a gravity reading with your hydrometer every day for three straight days. If the gravity stays the same, you're ready to bottle! If not, leave it for another few days until it gets down to the expected gravity per the instructions.

I've had yeast finish fermenting in 5 days. I've also had yeast take almost 3 full weeks to fully ferment a wort. Check your gravity against the attenuation of the yeast is that you're using. That will get you pretty darn close to what you're shooting for. Most* ale yeasts, as long as temperature is a relatively constant 65F+, you can usually anticipate them completely finishing in 2 weeks. Leaving a beer in primary longer is better than removing it sooner.

The way you know is by taking a gravity reading with your hydrometer every day for three straight days. If the gravity stays the same, you're ready to bottle! If not, leave it for another few days until it gets down to the expected gravity per the instructions.

Sounds good! Thanks for the info :mug:

I usually leave my amber ale in the fermentor for three weeks. I'll take the first gravity reading about day 10 to 14. I'll take a second gravity reading a few days later. Almost always the two gravity readings are the same indicating the fermentation is complete at the time of the first gravity reading.

The first gravity reading sample will be cloudy from the CO2 present suspending excess yeast and hop particles. Even though the fermentation is done I don't want to put excess particulates in my bottles. Each bottle will have less clear beer to pour into the glass if you rush to bottling.

Back