Bottling disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnord

don't see me
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled up a columbus cascade citra IPA this afternoon. When I knew I was getting low I was trying to check the bottling bucket to see if there was another bottle worth or not, but the lid I usually rest on top of the bucket somehow got attached a bit......light empty bucket lifts off the counter a bit before it releases, then falls onto 15 uncrimped bottles. :(. 3 survived still standing, I recovered the remnants into 5 that will probably be heavily oxidized. The broken bottle is from my frustration. Then I almost cried. To make matters worse my friends and I don't actually drink all that much, so I make my hoppy beers in 3 gallon batches so that I finish it while still at it's peak.

Lesson learned, I tried to bottle without cleaning up the appropriate counter space to use. Once it's carbed I'll taste to see if I want to adjust my water at all and make the same grainbill with columbus cascade simcoe.

disaster.jpg

Bummer. When I bottle I sit between my dish washer holding the bottles and an island in the kitchen. The bottling bucket sits on the diswasher w/a short tube. I take and empty from the washer and fill it, the drips fall on the open door. The full bottles go behind me on the island.

Workes pretty good this way, no drips on the floor, and no chance of doing what you did. I too do small batches but a little more than 1/2 or yours.

oh that sucks. when i bottle, i cap each one as i go, with good reason, i'm clumsy and my wife's even clumsier, we'd spill uncapped bottles. after capping each bottle, it goes in the box and my wife's ready to hand me a full bottle to cap and put away. i say it's always best to bottle with a second pair of hands.

Back