Bottling Disaster - Did I handle Right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMohan13

Reaction score
So after racking my beer into the bottling bucket and beginning to bottle, somehow the tubing sprung a leak causing beer to spew out the side of the tubing. Figuring bottling probably wouldn't be a good idea, I racked it back in the bucket and put the airlock back on and am letting it sit. Hopefully, the worst case scenario is that the beer is a little boozier as the yeast eats the priming sugar... I plan on waiting about a week to try bottling again.

If beer was pushing out then I don't see a problem. Try again with some new tubing.

EDIT: wait a minute. I kind of missed the whole point of your question. So you've added priming sugar. About 5oz? That is only going to add .3% ABV or so, so don't worry about it being boozier. What would have been convenient is if you had a hydro reading from after you added the sugar, so you could verify it did drop a couple points over the next week. If happened today I would suggest doing that, just to be sure most of that sugar gets eaten when you go to add more.

BTW, 5 oz corn sugar in 5 gallons of water = 1.003, so look for a 2 point drop at least.

You did handle it right. Let it sit until the new mini fermentation is over and you can get new tubing, then bottle that baby up.

I think you already know this, but in case you don't - you will need to re-prime before bottling.

I would test out your tubing with water as well so that you dont run into another issue. I am sure that is a given but just figured i make sure :)

Back