Bottling Day Fiasco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcbjr77

Reaction score
I was so excited to get this beer bottled... it was marked on the calender, I put off making a eggplant parmesan for a neighbors party... it was gonna be awesome.

Popped my bottles in the dishwasher, high heat rinse only and sanitize. clean all my buckets and auto siphon. Auto siphon is working like crap... Oh no there's a crack in it and starsar/water mix is squirting out the side. I said to myself there is no way I can put this off and wait to get a new one. Used some tape and popped in back to the bucket and now it worked like a dream. My theory was its only going to be in contact with the beer very shortly....

I put all the bottles into their boxes to make filling them easier, then racked the beer into my bottling bucket popped the filler onto the end of my vinyl tubing and started to fill each bottle. After like the 5th bottle I pulled up on it to stop the flow and nothing happened and the beer continued to flow... I shut the valve off at the bucket while watching liquid gold pour all over the place. The end of my bottle filler fell off. After inspection it's really not held on that well. I had to squeeze and deform it to allow the plastic wand to stay attached....

Was expecting around 48 beers, got 43, i mean 42... I don't like uneven numbers so I drank one..mmmm. I now attempt to cap these suckers, put a six pack on the countertop get my sanitized caps out put them on each beer. First pull on the capper and I hear a snap. The capper broke at on the rivets...WTF!!! you have to be kidding me. They is nothing in this house that can cap these beers.(mind you I watched videos prepping me for this and I was being careful and didn't bare down like a maniac) I hunt around for a piece of metal i can use to mend this capper, I use a metal strap with two screws and it works well still having to be careful that this thing doesn't come apart in my hands... It ended up working and now the bottles are conditioning in a Tupperware bin in my office. 6 are downstairs in the basement because I didn't have enough room.

It was fun I'll tell you, and this being my first attempt at homebrewing I didn't have a homebrew to drink while all this was going on... I was drinking red wine.

I have to agree with Unionrdr shopping / upgrades I mean critical replacement parts are needed. :) So while picking up those critical parts might as well get ingredients for the next batch. Hmmm I am going to save that for one of my trips.....:D

Cheers

I also broke a hand capper this week while bottling. I tried to hold it together with an elastic around the handles, but soon realized it was not going to work. Luckily there is a supply shop less than 10 minutes away that had a bench capper to help me finish the job without missing a beat. It is a must have if you are doing a lottle of bottling, plus it also works on non standard bottles that have a thinner neck.

Yeah, that's what I did for that very reason. Super agata bench capper is great! Just pull the handle up to slide up & down to adjust for any height of bottle.

20150213_233901_zps68upvp0x.jpg

Crack by the rivet

20150214_002302_zpsntcqok0f.jpg

Makeshift repair at midnight

yep, been there. I now have a spare filling wand, capper, hydrometer, and thermometer.

Ahh yes, I see the problem. You can't drink wine while bottling beer - you angered the homebrew beer gods. :) Nice emergency repair !!!

Were you using Fermentors Favorites bottle caps? I did a trial run with the caps I have. Out of six caps tried, two took extreme pressure with the bench capper to crimp. I'll stay with L.D. Carlson gold crown caps.

When I bottle, I switched to plastic bottles with screw on caps and haven't looked back. I will still do a six pack of glass bottles; however, for me plastic is the way to go. Might be worth looking into.

I have two of just about everything for instances like what happened to you. It gets pricey but throwing away a batch of beer hurts too much.

You did great with the repair!!

Were you using Fermentors Favorites bottle caps? I did a trial run with the caps I have. Out of six caps tried, two took extreme pressure with the bench capper to crimp. I'll stay with L.D. Carlson gold crown caps.

They were green oxygen barrier crown caps by LD CARLSON

They were green oxygen barrier crown caps by LD CARLSON

When I first started brewing I splurged and went for an all brass filler and a bench capper. Many years of service with never an issue.

Back