Bottling bucket - priming calculation conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cro Magnon

Reaction score
So I don't have a bottling bucket. I use a 5 litre water dispenser with a tap so I siphon from my fermenter into the dispenser, and then it's easy cos I can just open the tap into bottles (I let it flow down the set to avoid as much oxygenation as possible - don't know if this is the best?) However my batch is about 7.5 -8 litres....so here's the problem:

A) If I siphon 5 litres into the dispenser, I have to calculate priming sugar for the 5 litres which is fine. But then I don't know how much exactly is remaining, what with the trub there and all, so I can't know how much priming to calculate for the remaining amount.

B) I calculate priming for the whole batch and pour it into the fermenter, but then I have to stir it in I presume, which will stir up all the sediment as well. Also I will have to siphon directly from the fermenter into the bottles which will be quite delicate and /or tedious. Furhermore I just have a silicon tube and I do old school suck-siphoning.

So what do I do??

Roughly, with a 19L batch, I have (roughly I say) a bit more than 1L sediment. You'll be fine to just figure 1/2L sediment.

What I recommend is to put marks on your dispenser so you can see what the siphoned amount comes to. Or go true geek and weigh the empty dispenser and then siphon and weigh and calculate the volume. But the marks, tape on the outside, something like that, are what many of us do in our bottling buckets so we can see the amount.

However, you won't be far off simply using 7.5L.

Back