Bottling beer with stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidr123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new brewer who made an IPA batch about 2 weeks ago. Due to space limitations I fermented my beer at about 17-18 degrees Celsius (63.5 farenheit) for the first week or so before moving the fermentor to a warmer spot. After 9 days I did my first hydrometer reading and the SG was sligthly above what I was aiming for. In order to check if the fermentation was stuck I took a small sample and fermented it with fresh yeast in a glass bottle. After waiting 36 hours and taking another reading saw that the SG of the sample in the glass bottle had decreased while the SG of the beer in the fermentor had remained the same. My conclussion from this is that the fermentation got stuck, but very close to the "real" FG. As the taste is still good I would like to bottle the beer. My question is as the fermentation appears to be stuck is there any risk that the yeast might be dead, i.e. there will be no carbonation when bottle-conditioning the beer. If so, should I add more yeast before bottling?

Thanks in advance

A forced ferment test will often come out lower than actual final gravity of the wort. If you are within 2 points you should be fine.

Thanks for the help guys. There was a three points difference between the sample test (1.010) and the main batch (1.013). Hopefully it might not even be stuck then, i'll go ahead and bottle as usual.

Back