Bottling a single batch with two different priming amounts, what could go wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarshall

Reaction score
This weekend I'm planning on bottling 5 gallons of a belgian that is sort of on the edge between tripel and blonde (OG 1.070). Ideally, I would have all of the right containers to add enough priming sugar to get to 4 or so volumes of CO2 to get an authentic, high carbonation tripel/blonde. Unfortunately, despite my efforts, I only have 6 champagne bottles (with appropriate caps and capper), and 4 330ml belgian beer bottles to use. The rest will go into regular beer bottles which I have read have a max of 3 volumes CO2. Are there any issues I may encounter with bottling the first 3.5 gallons of stuff in regular bottles with adding enough priming sugar to get to 3 volumes, then calculating how much to add to get the extra 1 or so volume to the last 1.5 gallons?

The only problem I can see is aeration of the last 1.5 liters because I will have to do some stirring or something to get the priming solution properly mixed. Can anyone see anything else wrong with this plan?

Thanks.

I don't think you'll have a problem carbonating the 12oz. bottles to around 3.5 volumes or just under 4. I've gone to 3.5 before without a problem. Just use some nice, new bottles and you should be ok. Also, make sure your calculations are on point: going that high you don't want to accidently add too much!

If you want to carbonate to less in the 12 oz. and calculate the difference for your other bottles, I don't think you'll have a problem either. Just account for the fact that you already added some sugar and use the proper volume difference. Also, GENTLY stir and try not to go overboard when adding the extra sugar.

Back