Bottles not carbonated from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
Hey guys, still new to the kegging/bottling process. Have 2 cases of bottles beer from a keg without carbonation. Added priming sugar to the beer upon kegging and also had CO2 pumping in during the kegging process (foamed a few bottles up).

Any suggestions?

Yeah, well when I siphoned the fermented beer into the kegs, I added priming sugar. Let it sit for a few days then added CO2 and eventually bottled about 2 weeks later

mackinskor, you're supposed to either prime with sugar or add c02, not both. I suppose if you primed and then checked the pressure and found it to be low you could add some c02 to get it where you wanted it. But if your measurements are right when you prime you shouldn't need to do that. Also, were the kegs warm during this entire process? Because if they were cold the priming sugar isn't going to do much, and even warm it would take more than a few days to carb.

Ah, well yes the kegs were room temp the entire time. Either way, no carbonation in the bottles. Without kegging I know it needs ~14-21 days to get carbonation to where it should be. Does this apply to bottling with CO2 as well? If so I may just need to wait longer for the bottles to condition.

You can't bottle warm carbed beer from a keg. If you want to carb in a keg and then bottle, first you should verify that the beer is fully carbed in the keg. You have to get it really cold so that the CO2 stays in solution during the bottling process.

You can't bottle warm carbed beer from a keg. If you want to carb in a keg and then bottle, first you should verify that the beer is fully carbed in the keg. You have to get it really cold so that the CO2 stays in solution during the bottling process.

This explains what I did wrong! Mine was over carbed in the keg and used a CP bottler, but i still have little carbonation once bottled. I bottled at about 68F.

Gonna HAVE to get a fridge/freezer.

So are you insinuating the bottled beer won't be carbonated at all then? Is there no hope?

it depends. if you bottled to warm, then most of the CO2 that was in solution will have dissipated, but, if there is still some carbonation occurring between the yeast and the sugar because of it's age, you might be OK. You'll have to wait a bit and see.

I can't think of any reason why the beer won't carb, it's jut going to take 1-2 weeks like any other bottle conditioned beer. You basically used your keg to fill bottles, which would reduce oxygen exposure I suppose, but it seems like a lot of extra effort.

As Bobby_M said, if you fill bottles from a keg it needs to be cold, the colder the better. It's even better if the bottles are cold also. Even if you carbed with sugar in the keg you would need to then chill the keg before filling bottles from it.

Hi
I am new to kegging also...so lets say I properly conditioned the beer in a keg.
Then, as stated above, I chill the keg (temp recomendations?), chill bottles, then use a beer-gun to purge O2 and fill them at proper temps and min. O2 exposure before I cap them......If process is well controlled....I wonder for how long will the beer stay fresh at room temp and chilled temps?
Thanks
JC

Hi
I am new to kegging also...so lets say I properly conditioned the beer in a keg.
Then, as stated above, I chill the keg (temp recomendations?), chill bottles, then use a beer-gun to purge O2 and fill them at proper temps and min. O2 exposure before I cap them......If process is well controlled....I wonder for how long will the beer stay fresh at room temp and chilled temps?
Thanks
JC

In the bottle? Indefinitely. Just like commercial beer.

Back