Bottles and hands...contamination Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam1080

Reaction score
Quick question...I recently finished fermenting my 1st batch of brew and bottled them up last night. While I know I should be wearing rubber gloves, I unintentionally dipped the bottom part of my bare hand in the beer as I was siphoning to the bottling bucket. Granted, my hands had been dipped in the sanitizer a few minutes before.

I went ahead and bottled everything up and put them in the storage closest..

My question is would a quick dip of a recently santized hand be enough to jibber things up or should I just relax?

-Adam

should I just relax?

-Adam

I'm 96.78% positive there is nothing to worry about ! I've done the same thing many times. So rdwhahb is in order for sure :) btw use cheap vodka to wash your hands, it penetrates oils and grime on your hands that sanitizer will not. That's just being picky though.

Cheers!

- another Adam :)

Well that was awfully civilized Revvy. But don't kid the man.

Adam, your beer is ruined. all processes need to be in a certified clean room with a clean set of scrubs.

But no you will be just fine. And I don't think rubber gloves are necessary for the future either. Just don't stir you wort with your hands after taking a dump and it will be fine, especially after fermentation.

Thanks for the responses. I figured it would work out fine, but you all know how it is. Just excited about the first batch.

Cheers

I think about this every time my hands, a paper towel, etc., hits anywhere near my beer. But then I think, there is only so much you can do. Even sanitizing isn't perfect. Dial your process in as best you can, and chances are that your yeast will do all the rest.

Anyhow, I thought this thread was going to be about a Beck song...? Just clap your hands!

Luckily your beer has had a chance to make alcohol and it helps protect it some. You are fine. However, if the thought of drinking beer that might be infected keeps you up at night, PM me and I'll send you my address and you can send me your beer. I'm only doing this to make sure you have a good night's sleep of course.

Bottles and Hands.. Just Clap your hands

Bottles and Hands.. Just Clap your hands

WHERE ITS AT.

I love obscure song lyric day, anybody know the author/song title?

Back