Bottled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPME

Reaction score
So I have well water which goes through a huge filtration system as my iron content is out of control. It get chlorinated, salt tank, etc. So I don't want to use it. I will be doing my 1st ever BIAB and was wondering if a 50/50 split of distilled and say Poland Spring water would be a good way to go. Trying to avoid a 'perfect' brew meaning adding all kinds of stuff to the water to and get perfect PH etc. Since my 1st attempt (DR from NB), I'm sure it's only going to come out OK anyway.

Thoughts?

Does your local Walmart or supermarket have a Reverse Osmosis water dispenser? (about 33¢ per gallon here, was 29¢ a gallon when I was visiting in Texas earlier this year)

Use straight RO water or distilled water, and add a little gypsum or calcium chloride, and don't worry about the rest. I usually add 1/2 tsp of each to 4 gallons of strike water. I don't bother to check the mash pH; seems to work okay, but I might be fooling myself a bit.

Local brewery is trying to use the city water with just a carbon filter treatment. The water here tastes good but is horrible for brewing anything but porter and stout. They're not doing so well.

So I have well water which goes through a huge filtration system as my iron content is out of control. It get chlorinated, salt tank, etc. So I don't want to use it. I will be doing my 1st ever BIAB and was wondering if a 50/50 split of distilled and say Poland Spring water would be a good way to go. Trying to avoid a 'perfect' brew meaning adding all kinds of stuff to the water to and get perfect PH etc. Since my 1st attempt (DR from NB), I'm sure it's only going to come out OK anyway.

Thoughts?

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/ps_eng.pdf (Poland Spring)

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/pl_eng.pdf
(Pure Life)

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/dp_eng.pdf
(Deer Park)

If you don't intend to alter the water at all, i'd say leave it undiluted (no distilled) and use the Deer Park brand. That seems to have a pretty middle-of-the-road profile.

I agree here but OP is trying to avoid this.

Correct Derek, just looking for something decent and easy.

I only brew IPA's so not sure if any of the above mentioned bottled water brands would be better than another.

I looked at Deer Park a few months pack, and I had the distinct impression they only gave ranges for their various mineral contents. Some of them were pretty broad. They are a national brand, and they get their water from different sources around the country, with the result you're gonna get different water and different beer in different places.

I gave up and bought my own RO system. I am now waiting to see if it will install itself, as I don't want to do it if I can help it.

Thoughts?

I'd reconsider ignoring pH. All it takes is a little acidulated malt thrown in the mash to get you in the right range, and my guess is your pH is gonna be high without it. Probably 1-2% of your total grain bill as acid malt would do it, but check with a calculator to make sure.

I'd reconsider ignoring pH. All it takes is a little acidulated malt thrown in the mash to get you in the right range, and my guess is your pH is gonna be high without it. Probably 1-2% of your total grain bill as acid malt would do it, but check with a calculator to make sure.

+1 to this. I only use acid malt, calcium chloride and gypsum and hit my pH every time.

I refrained from mentioning this because you seemed to be shying away from doing any treatment.

I normally cut my water with some Distilled and add the above salts and malt to hit my numbers.

For an IPA I use R/O plus 1 tsp calcium chloride and 1 tsp gypsum per 5 gallons of strike water and get an awesome hoppy taste.

Back