bottled water ok for mini mashes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
extract guy who wants more head retention. so looking at flaked barley and wheat. is bottled spring or mineral water gonna work or should i go with tap?

what do you all use and are adjuncts for common U.S. water really necessary?

I use bottled water for everything, mainly because my city water doesn't taste good. It will work fine.

I have a really good water filter system under my kitchen sink... It pulls about 99% of whatever is in the water, out. With the town water (from the regular faucet) I can smell chlorine, and taste it sometimes too (others say it's fine, or don't taste it, but I do)... With the filtered water, it tastes clean, has zero chlorine odor, and is just plain good. It's a two stage filter system, so the first catches a lot, and the second catches even more.

With my filter setup, it comes out to about 4 cents a gallon that's run through the filters. Far cheaper than buying bottled water. I think the system cost me about $100 back in 2001, and a few more dollars to get it professionally installed.

If you're going to be brewing any amount, or don't like the taste of the water coming out of the faucet, I suggest looking into a two stage water filter for under the sink. You could also go for a RO unit, but that might be over-kill for the job at hand (and be more expensive)... Just make sure that you get a system that is by a company that's been around a while, and has survived the recent economic turmoil well. I have to order my filters online, since no stores in my area carry them. Still, pretty cheap money all things considered.

I had issues with my city water, so I switched to Poland Spring water. Last few batches (partial mashes) have been fantastico.

I had issues with my city water, so I switched to Poland Spring water. Last few batches (partial mashes) have been fantastico.

That can't be cheap... In my area, it's over a buck per gallon ($1.00/1 gallon jug, $2.50 for a 2.5 gallon jug) of PS water... Doesn't taste any better than what comes out of my filter system... So I'll save that $.96 per gallon and use it for other ingredients... Hell, that's about 6 pounds of UK 2 Row grain per batch...

Back