Bottled, now tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WumpBrewing

Reaction score
I just opened a beer from one of our brews. We left it in primary for 10 days, transferred it to secondary. When we transferred it to secondary, we decided to test it. It tasted great. We left it in secondary for 2 more weeks, then decided to bottle it. We tasted it again, and once again it tasted great, no funny aftertastes or anything of that nature. We bottled it and let it sit for another two weeks. Opened one tonight at room temp, the beginning taste is good, however, the aftertaste tasted like apples. I have experienced this before (with our first brew, which was an extract, and we came to the conclusion fermentation had halted). Do you think this could have been the problem again? Here is the recipe, could there be a problem in the recipe? I'm just really curious because I thought gave it plenty of time to ferment out. Was I incorrect?

5lb Pale Malt
3lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Honey Malt
1lb Crystal 40L
1oz Cascade (60 mins)
1oz Cascade (15 mins)
Wyeast- Belgian Lambic

I can't really answer your question, but wanted to suggest (if you don't already) that you take hydrometer readings, both when you put it in for the primary (original gravity) and when you are ready to bottle (final gravity). This will tell you whether your fermentation stalled or went according to plan.

Good luck,

Jim

what were the fermentation temperatures like? it sounds like acetylaldehyde, which is an off flavor/chemical produced by stressed yeast, and has a green apple kind of taste.

keeping in a good temp range during primary/secondary, and making sure the yeast are happy (i.e. well aerated wort, and optimal pitch rates) helps.

that said, the beer is still young in the bottle...it could just need a couple more weeks to remove that flavor.

+1 on patience. It is CRAZY how much a beer can change in a week! TRUST ME! I made a beer that tastes different everytime I have a bottle... it truly is a phenomenon for the record books. Anyways, just try a bottle in a week and I bet it will taste different.

Back