Bottled Conditioning Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lms94

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum / home brewing and I've been trying to find the optimum temperature for bottle conditioning...

I have 2 options, room temperature (ie 20C - 24C) or the airing cupboard (~30C).

Which would be better for conditioning my American Pale Ale in the bottle?

Thanks in advance and apologies if someone has already asked / answered this!

I condition at 20°C. Ambient temperature in my brew room. Takes a little longer than 24°C would but I have a pretty good supply on hand.

I condition at 20°C. Ambient temperature in my brew room. Takes a little longer than 24°C would but I have a pretty good supply on hand.

So my ambient is 21C, this fluctuates during the day if I don't have the heating on, how long am I expecting to wait? I was told 2 weeks or so?

So my ambient is 21C, this fluctuates during the day if I don't have the heating on, how long am I expecting to wait? I was told 2 weeks or so?

Two weeks may be good for a moderate gravity beer up to about 1.050 OG. Going higher expect to condition at least three weeks for carbonation to finish. Expect longer getting above 1.070 OG.

I'll chill a new recipe for a couple of days beginning at two weeks just to see how the flavor changes as it matures.

Two weeks may be good for a moderate gravity beer up to about 1.050 OG. Going higher expect to condition at least three weeks for carbonation to finish. Expect longer getting above 1.070 OG.

I'll chill a new recipe for a couple of days beginning at two weeks just to see how the flavor changes as it matures.

The beer I've brewed is the Bulldog Evil Dog Double IPA with a OG of 1.060, it was 1.010 prior to bottling..

The beer I've brewed is the Bulldog Evil Dog Double IPA with a OG of 1.060, it was 1.010 prior to bottling..

Plan at least three weeks for this one. My 1.064 IPA takes four weeks before a nice dense and creamy head will develop.

Plan at least three weeks for this one. My 1.064 IPA takes four weeks before a nice dense and creamy head will develop.

Thanks! The instructions stated 1 week conditioning then 1 week in the fridge but I'll leave them 3 weeks, then 1 week fridge :)

Thanks! The instructions stated 1 week conditioning then 1 week in the fridge but I'll leave them 3 weeks, then 1 week fridge :)

Try one with one day in the fridge. Try another with two days in fridge. Try another with three days in the fridge. Home brew is about experimenting, tasting, and good notes.

Back