Bottled Beer (1.5 Years)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squad83

Reaction score
Long story short, I recently moved and found a 32 oz.bottle of one of the ales I brewed about a 1.5 years ago. Its in the actual sealed bottle and not the carboy - was wondering if it is still good to drink? I know that some darker thicker beers benefit from a long conditioning period, but since I don't know which brew this is, was curious.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Bill

You won't know if it's good to drink until you do, so go for it. It won't make you sick or anything, so don't worry about that.

In packing up my house to move, I found a few cases of bottles from 2006 that I forgot about. The problem is, at the time I knew which case was which batch, but they've since been moved around and consolidated. There are some in there from a batch of double IPA that was nearly undrinkable at brewing, but tasted like a nice american barleywine a few years ago. The rest of them are low gravity beers that are probably nasty. At some point I'll have to start opening and see what I find, but I haven't yet.

Pop it open and give it a try. Worst case it will taste foul (which you can fix by opening one that is in its prime) but maybe it has transformed into something great. I just opened a bottle of Belgian dubbel that has been in the bottle for a little over a year and it was far better than it was six months ago. You'll never know if you don't try! :mug:

Thanks for the quick responses!

Gonna crack it open tonight - I'll keep you guys posted on taste / brew...........

Bill

Smells good, tastes good. Smells bad, tastes bad. This is readily answerable.

Back