Bottled a 30 month old sour tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
On 9/11/16, I brewed the following 5 gallon beer:

3# Muntons Dry Malt Extract
3# Breiss (light) Pilsner Dry Malt Extract
4 ounces BSG maltodextrine

1/2 ounce of Saaz FWH

Wyeast 3278 Belgian Iambic Blend

On 1/14/17, I added dregs of Crooked Stave Petit Raspberry and Avery Brewery Raspberrry Sour. In July of 2017, I transferred 2 gallons into a carboy with a fermented brown ale. The other 3 gallons I transferred to a 3 gallon carboy. That's what I decided to bottle tonight!

Tim

I will let you know in 4 weeks when I crack the first bottle. I had about a pint tonight, but it was warm & not carbonated from a bottle that didn't completely fill.

The portion I blended with the brown ale is tasty.

In 2016 I brewed a similar batch. With that one, I transferred a gallon into a glass jug with cherry concentrate, then transferred the rest into a carboy with frozen raspberries. I wasn't overly impressed (Maybe my expectations were too high?)

I still have the (1) gallon with cherry concentrate in the basement. I plan to blend it with a fermented Belgian pale ale at some point soon.

Last edited:
I used a combination of sugar and champagne/white wine yeast.

That is awesome. My 3278 lambic is young still, only just grew a pellicle a month ago (brewed November).

She's got a long way to go. Congrats on the patience to let it roll 30 months and let us know how it turned out!

For you guys that do sours do you have a separate "sour" fermenter and equipment. Does it mess other stuff up? Is there an acid that you could add to kinda cheat the sour process?

For you guys that do sours do you have a separate "sour" fermenter and equipment. Does it mess other stuff up? Is there an acid that you could add to kinda cheat the sour process?
You could kettle sour if you’re looking to quick sour. Omega 605 blend is one I use that is a pretty good lacto souring blend

I use my glass carboy for my lambic since it puts it out of the way and I'm not overly scared of the glass but I figure using it for a beer that needs long aging means I move it less and have less chance to slice my hand off.

I do use a separate packaging set of gear for sours (if it is only lacto I don't segregate the equipment they touch).

Theoretically you can add lactic acid to beer to "cheat" the sour process but it seems most people/literature will tell you this is a bad idea and not really a good substitute.

FYI bottling yeast with an "acid shock starter" is recommended.
Bottle conditioning sours is a drastically overlooked concept. I had a hard time getting my carefully crafted sours to carb up after long term storage, and didn't give much thought to the acid shock starter method. Then i started doing it and it's a huge improvement. Know it; live it.

I do not use separate equipment . After emptying the fermenters with , I soak them in PBW. Also, I use a stainless steel racking cane. Clean it immediately and soak it also.

What is an 'Acid shock starter'? I have about 30 gallons of sours that are at least 5 years old, maybe more. Just never got around to bottling. Just top up the airlocks with vodka every few months.

Back