Bottle yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
Can u make a good starter from the yeast at the bottom of a bottle from well the store? I was hoping to use the yeast from a lambic bottle

you can you just have to ensure 1st it is a true lambic culture, and you have to start with a very very small starter and slowly build it up. Honestly, I think it is just more efficient to just buy the culture(s) you are looking for and go from there. Its worth a shot if you want to give it a try!

Ok so what type of starter should I make can I pull some sugars from a all grain batch and thin it out with water

My understanding is that lindeman 'lambics' are pasteurized. . . Which means the dregs are not a viable source of yeast/bugs.

Amiright?

There are tons of other great options for you, depending on your local distribution. You are bound to find something awesome to use

Hahaha there's nothing real local when it comes to lambics I live in Alaska and everything is crazy expensive I would have to pay 34 for a lambic wyeast and that's with a mil discount

again, why guess when wyeast & white labs have multiple options to choose from. I have a 1 year old lambic that I'm looking forward to bottling soon.

i got yeast from a bottle of orval and used it to ferment saison,
i started by refrigerating the beer for 3-4days, then drink it and to the sediment i added some wort, swirled and transferred to small flask (about 150ml total), this stayed on the stir plate for 48h (i could see some activity around 36h), then i steeped it up to 1.5L starter, it fermented completely in 24h, i pitched in to 5.5gal OG was 1.058 fg last checked 1.006 and its still in 2ndary. Im not sure about your beer (if it has yeast you looking for), next time i do this i will use lower gravity wort for first small starter (it was 1.040 but now i would start with 1.020-30)

Latest posts

Back